Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fleece vs Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fleece-vs-batting-t242150.html)

evelyn5269 02-27-2014 11:20 AM

Fleece vs Batting

I keep reading about using fleece in runners, table mats and quilts. Would you replace the batting in a quilt with fleece and do you get much loft. I like the quilted look and use real high loft battings.

Thanks,
Evelyn

granky 02-27-2014 12:37 PM

I use fleece for the backing on all of my quilts...so far I haven't felt the need to add batting to the mix, but I might try that sometime. I think my quilts look 'quilted', and I love the design on the back. Fleece without batting requires less quilting too. You might try it for a couch throw and see what you think. Personally, I'm sold.

MissEllieB 02-27-2014 12:55 PM

Love fleece...

Originally Posted by granky (Post 6599952)
I use fleece for the backing on all of my quilts...so far I haven't felt the need to add batting to the mix, but I might try that sometime. I think my quilts look 'quilted', and I love the design on the back. Fleece without batting requires less quilting too. You might try it for a couch throw and see what you think. Personally, I'm sold.

I love to use fleece on the back of baby quilts. I used batting the first time I used fleece. It made my quilt thick, warm and a bit stiff. Maybe with washing, it will softed up. I don't see the need for batting unless you want a really warm quilt. Good Luck!

ragquilter 02-27-2014 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by granky (Post 6599952)

Do you use binding or do you birth your quilt?

ckcowl 02-27-2014 02:16 PM

I tend to still use batting in my quilts with fleece backings- just my preference- if i'm using fleece for backing it's because I want a good, heavy, warm quilt- the batting just adds to that- along with adding additional loft. the woodsy, flying geese one I recently posted has a camo fleece backing and dream cotton batting.

ckcowl 02-27-2014 02:17 PM

oh, I also used a black flannel to bind the quilt- with the binding cut at 2 3/4" to make up for the extra bulk. machine sewn to the back (fleece side) folded over & hand stitched to the top.

AngeliaNR 02-27-2014 02:27 PM

I have used fleece as batting and really liked the result, but it doesn't create a very high loft. I used it with regular quilting cotton as top and backing. It made a warm, but not too thick quilt.

quiltsRfun 02-27-2014 03:11 PM

I've made two unsuccessful attempts at using fleece for backing. Both were without batting. They looked okay before washing but seemed wonky after. On the first, nothing was pre-washed. On the second everything was pre-washed. I did a minimum amount of quilting, straight lines only. I like the idea of fleece backing and would appreciate any tips or advice you might offer.

Zinda 02-27-2014 04:55 PM

I've never used fleece. Doesn't it stretch too much?

yngldy 02-27-2014 05:44 PM

Which type of fleece are you referring to?
Fleece you buy on the bolt in the interfacing section of the store? Usually Pellon Fleece
Fleece that is used for clothing and blankets that are tied on all sides?
Flannel that is often referred to as fleece?