Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fleece - what to do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fleece-what-do-t116251.html)

Marcia D 04-15-2011 05:11 AM

I bought A LOT of fleece yardage at the hancocks sale last Saturday and am wanting ideas of EASY quilts to make with it. Any suggestions for this newbie? Thanks!

spartan quilter 04-15-2011 06:13 AM

Living in North Dakota, I back all my lap robes with fleece and batting. They are so warm. But since you are in the south, you may not want to do that. But you could use fleece and no batting. Some warmth, but not heavy. What a wonderful sale to get it on. Good luck with finding a project that works for you.

CoriAmD 04-15-2011 06:18 AM

When I find fleece like this, I cut the corners so they are rounded off then I do a blanket stitch all around.
I donate these to the Cancer treatment center. I understand people getting chemo get really cold and they welcome these warm fleece blankets. Have fun what ever you choose to do!

Edited to add... I also cut the selvedge edges off and square up the fleece.

Deborahlees 04-15-2011 06:19 AM

I have made a lot of charity quilts using fleece and cutting into 8 -10" squares. Used up all my left over pieces that way and quilts were real cute. Used my serger on some on others clipped the seams for a rag look.

qbquilts 04-15-2011 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Marcia D
I bought A LOT of fleece yardage at the hancocks sale last Saturday and am wanting ideas of EASY quilts to make with it. Any suggestions for this newbie? Thanks!

I make no-sew fleece blankets. I use 2 fabrics - usually a print and a coordinate (solid or tone-on-tone). Cut both the same length (1 1/2 yds for kids works, 2 yds for adults). Lay fleece on top of each other, wrong sides together. Cut a 6" square out of each corner. One side at a time, make 6" cuts in from the side, 1" apart from each other, so that you've got 1" x 6" fringe rectangles. Then carefully tie/knot a fringe from each fabric. Here's a pic of one I made at Christmas:

Buzz Fleece Blanket
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184185[/ATTACH]

BKrenning 04-15-2011 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
When I find fleece like this, I cut the corners so they are rounded off then I do a blanket stitch all around.
I donate these to the Cancer treatment center. I understand people getting chemo get really cold and they welcome these warm fleece blankets. Have fun what ever you choose to do!

Edited to add... I also cut the selvedge edges off and square up the fleece.

My friend does this for kids tv watching blankets & new baby coverups.

I like to use fleece as the backing for a flannel baby quilt--no batting. Since it is usually 60" wide, it's the perfect size for baby quilt backings.

I cut WOF x 6" strips off several different prints and fringed the ends to make scarves for a fall craft show one year. I sold them for $3 each or 2 for $5. They went like hot cakes. Over the summer, I had bought a bunch of fleece from Joann's clearance and a Hancock Fabrics that was going out of business for $2.50 per yard so after selling the first 6" strip scarf--the next 5 were pure profit.

You can also use your scraps of fleece as stuffing for dog beds. I would think you could even join large pieces together and use as batting to make a really warm quilt. I bought a queen size acrylic blanket off the clearance rack at Walmart for $7 with the thought to try just that. We're using it as a footwarmer on our king size bed right now until I need a queen size batting.

Marcia D 04-15-2011 08:41 AM

Thanks to all for such great responses. I think I'll save those projects for the fall when it's chilly.

bakermom 04-15-2011 10:22 AM

do you crochet? Crochet an edging around the fleece, then if you really want to get fancy do a shell stitch for the second row. You can get a blade for you rotary cutter that will cut little holes to make it easier. i've used a lot of my fleece remnants for baby blankets that are always a big hit.