Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flipped seams allowances (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flipped-seams-allowances-t291461.html)

Claire123 09-25-2017 09:15 PM

Yes, sometime the seam allowances have a mind of their own! Slowing down and peeking as I stitch helps, but not 100% of the time.

maminstl 09-26-2017 04:08 AM

Sometimes I am feeling persnickety and fix them, but most of the time I just move on. It is not noticeable when the quilt is finished.

SusieQOH 09-26-2017 04:14 AM

If it's only a couple I don't worry about it. Occasionally I will take out and redo.

Macybaby 09-26-2017 04:26 AM

I rarely worry about it. I've made about 30 quilt tops so far this year, and have quilted about half of them and have not had it cause me any problems. I suppose if I was making a quilt I hoped to win awards with, this might be something that would cause a problem.

Since I put the plastic template on the front of my machine, I rarely have the problem of the seam catching on the needle plate and flipping that way.

pocoellie 09-26-2017 05:05 AM

I do my best to have them not flip, but, if the seams flips, I don't worry about it, has never caused any problems.

Sewnoma 09-26-2017 05:33 AM

We're talking about when one side is sewn down one way and later the same seam allowance is sewn down another way, right? I used to let them go all whichever way but lately I've gotten a lot better about managing my seams and only have a couple flips per quilt - recently I decided to quilt a top I finished a couple years ago and the 'hither and thither' way the seams were laying drove me a little bit crazy when I tried to press it all out. I didn't use to press my quilt tops before quilting either, which is probably why the flipped seams were never on my radar.

But now I do press my tops, and I don't clip seams or re-sew when I find flips; I just press it down the way it's sewn at the start, open it about halfway between the split and press that part open, then let the flip have its way for the last bit. That way I'm sort of "easing" into the flip and it's not as noticeable on the front if it's all flipped in the same spot.

soccertxi 09-26-2017 07:06 AM

whether I resew them or not, really depends on my mood and how 'fiddley' the project is. I have been known to fix a TON of them..and on the next project press the living daylights out of it! When I am sewing rows of blocks, I usually don't pre-press the seams. I keep track of the row before and use a stylus or purple thang to adjust them as I go. It takes a few seconds longer to sew the seam, but I am not having to pin the whole thing. (and yes, sometimes I pin the whole thing! I am an ADD quilter!)

feline fanatic 09-26-2017 09:20 AM

I generally don't worry about them unless they are shadowing through to the front. Twisted seams don't ever seam (pun intended) to present a problem for me, even if I am doing SITD quilting.

quiltingcandy 09-26-2017 09:39 AM

When it happens I fix it - snip the thread and re-sew it. Since I match up my seams using a glue stick and the Clover Clips sometimes I will glue down the fabric that is underneath if it is not cooperating with me.

Faintly Artistic 09-26-2017 12:31 PM

At least one block I've done recently, the seams only nest properly if I flip one side. Delectable Mountains comes to mind. I clip if it's noticeable, just iron flat if possible.