Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Floor Cloth (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/floor-cloth-t80812.html)

yolanda 12-05-2010 02:19 PM

Ok I did something stupid - I was purchasing some items from fabric.com and needed to spend a little more in order to get free shipping so I bought 1/4 yard of something called "Floorcloth". I want to make some pretty kitchen or hand towels with it. Has anyone ever used this?

erstan947 12-05-2010 02:21 PM

I may be wrong but I think it is more the wt of canvas. Put cloth over it or paint on it and use it for a rug.

grann of 6 12-05-2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by yolanda
Ok I did something stupid - I was purchasing some items from fabric.com and needed to spend a little more in order to get free shipping so I bought 1/4 yard of something called "Floorcloth". I want to make some pretty kitchen or hand towels with it. Has anyone ever used this?

I got some of that too. Just wait till you wash it!!! I haven't figured out what I will do with it, but someday it will get used.

Cyn 12-05-2010 02:29 PM

I thought it was used to make rugs.

yolanda 12-05-2010 02:36 PM

Did it get really soft when you washed it? I have a lovely piece of cotton fabric I could use for a nice trim on a handtowel maybe I'll try it that.

Originally Posted by grann of 6

I got some of that too. Just wait till you wash it!!! I haven't figured out what I will do with it, but someday it will get used.

yolanda 12-05-2010 02:36 PM

The description said that it can be used for toweling.

Originally Posted by Cyn
I thought it was used to make rugs.

QuiltswithConvicts 12-05-2010 02:43 PM

I was curious, so I went to fabric.com - the fabric you ordered is toweling. Probably similar to homespun. It is loosly woven, 90% cotton & 10% polyester, so it will shrink as it didn't say pre-shrunk. I would think you can make towels from toweling. It's 19" wide, selvedge on both long sides. All you would need to do is cut the length you want and finish the short edges as desired, i.e., fringe, hem or whatever.

grann of 6 12-05-2010 03:09 PM

Did it get really soft when you washed it? I have a lovely piece of cotton fabric I could use for a nice trim on a handtowel maybe I'll try it that.

No, mine came out a stiff, wrinkled mess, frayed terrible and very linty. Yuck! is all I can say!!! Might make good place mats.

yolanda 12-05-2010 03:54 PM

Oh :-( Maybe I will use it for dusting rags then.

No, mine came out a stiff, wrinkled mess, frayed terrible and very linty. Yuck! is all I can say!!! Might make good place mats.

grann of 6 12-05-2010 04:47 PM

Oh :-( Maybe I will use it for dusting rags then.

It may leave more dust than it picks up.