Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flour sacks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flour-sacks-t146936.html)

Mamagoat 08-24-2011 02:07 AM

I grew up on a chicken farm. Mama made our clothes from the feedsacks. I wore feedsack "drawers' till I started school. Mama's aunt bought me & my sister store bought panties.My brother got store bought underwear too.I found an old quilt top made with feedsacks & washed feedsacks for the back, at a yard sale.Sun bonnet Sue pattern.

Just Jan 08-24-2011 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by dphelps
Here is a quilt that I need to restore and I am hoping that flour sacks are suitable.

I have some pieces of fabrics you might be able to use. They are some I saved from old aprons and some spokes from some antique Dresden Plate blocks that I bought on ebay. You can also purchase some small checked cotton gingham and use that for some. I think Joanns only carries the checked gingham in a cotton,blend but think I have seen 100% cotton at Hobby Lobby and online. Please send me an aside if you want to share a bit of the old fabrics I have.
I think that quilt is absolutely beautiful.

kaykwilts 08-24-2011 05:27 AM

This is a great thread...thanks for all the stories

jimsjunque 08-24-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by dtippens
any pictures of these flower sacks

Do you ever go to ebay? Look up flour/feed sacks. There usually are tons of pictures of sacks,either opened or unopened for sale.

Campbell34 08-24-2011 10:44 AM

When my Aunt was a girl way back in the 20's she died her hair with coffee and tea, :?

MarilynLouise 08-24-2011 02:25 PM

I remember going to the feed store with my father and picking out the sacks that I liked. It took two sacks to make a gathered skirt!

Greenheron 08-24-2011 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Campbell34
When my Aunt was a girl way back in the 20's she died her hair with coffee and tea, :?

My DM said her 'old-maid' great aunts rinsed their hair with tea after every shampoo, looked perfectly natural and never showed a grey hair. ;)

janjer 08-24-2011 04:39 PM

I mixed a home brew "suntan lotion" with instant tea one summer. It was the only summer I ever got a tan. LOL
The tea dyed my skin just enough to look like a natural tan. It didn't protect against sunburns.

You might use some of the reproduction prints in that dresdan plate you are working on. I like the antique green. I think Keepsake Quilting has some of the reproduction prints and some solids. Post a photo when you get it finished.

liondenise 08-25-2011 01:37 AM

if you want a variety of colors and dying techniques go to ritdye,com - I happened on that site by accident and got so excited when I saw all info they had - have been making some of my own batiks

Wunder-Mar 08-25-2011 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by amma
After tea or coffee dyeing, I let them drip dry and then throw them in the dryer for about 30 minutes to set the "stain." Then wash and rinse them by hand to get out any excess tea/coffee :D:D:D

I found out the hard way that THIS - what you suggest above - is a critical step in the dyeing process to ensure the dye "sticks" rathers than runs out with the rinse water after a project is finished. Oy.