Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flour Sacks Update (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flour-sacks-update-t256851.html)

mamaw 11-17-2014 05:19 PM

Lucky you....those are gorgeous!!!!! I agree with the bow tie quilt or some other vintage 30's pattern.

nwm50 11-17-2014 05:20 PM

Uh oh....how to put a pic on here to reply to post??

ccthomas 11-17-2014 07:42 PM

Beautiful whether from the 50 or 70/80s. Nice.

Scakes 11-17-2014 07:59 PM

I have some feedsacks put away. Haven't been able to decide on a pattern yet. Will watch this for ideas.

Misty's Mom - would love to hear what pattern you decide on.

maviskw 11-17-2014 08:29 PM

My first thought was Dresden, then I thought of Sunbonnet Sue. And don't forget to make yourself an apron out of at least one of them.

Sew Krazy Girl 11-17-2014 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom (Post 6970216)
such as? I keep drawing a blank

The Farmers Wife would look lovely.

DOTTYMO 11-18-2014 01:37 AM

Why all the fuss over a paper bag which flour goes in? I can find no history of fabric bags for flour .....

misseva 11-18-2014 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6973762)
Why all the fuss over a paper bag which flour goes in? I can find no history of fabric bags for flour .....

If I remember correctly, 25# bags of flour came in fabric bags as well as sugar. It seems recently I've seen 25# sugar in pillow cases - just sewed across the top and down one side.

adamae 11-18-2014 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu (Post 6970282)
Do you think they were the very old ones - or the newer, reproduction feed sacks that were made about the late 70's or 80's ????? The colors just look very bright to me compared to some of the old ones in the quilts that I have here.

In Little Rock, we still had a feed and seed company that sold still in the 60's, 70''s and maybe 80's with material from the same time periods. As a retired antique dealer I can say I have handled feed/seed/flour/sugar sacks some with original paper brand labels that were obviously 60's or 70's and possibly 80's.
I was born 1934 the third of four girls in the middle of the depression/dust storm years.....we would tell/show Dad what feed sacks we wanted when he was to go buy feed in a rural western Kansas town so there might be enough for a dress. Each of us would pick out a print we liked and request how much we needed.
Learned to make tea towels with the cream colored ones. How I hated to make those tiny hems, Mom was so particular, not to mention my older sisters laughs at my early efforts.
I can remember yard goods being 25 cents a yard...

adamae 11-18-2014 10:01 AM

I have the cuttings from KCStar and Huthinson Herald, & Farm Journal plus more Mom kept in a scrapbook. Mostly from the 30's and 40's. Shoo Fly, Churn Dash, easy ones, then clam shell, Clay's Choice plus Joseph's Coat many more.. lots of these were hand pieced. Some of the old Dresden plate pattern were offered as precuts (kits) in farm periodicals in the 30's and 40's. Your choice of pattern is wide to choose from as this was a time when quilting filled a huge need. Just google free quilt patterns and you will get sites that may even include what year they were popular