Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flying with Quilting Supplies?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flying-quilting-supplies-t275749.html)

asabrinao 02-14-2016 07:31 PM

Flying with Quilting Supplies??

Hi, Everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked on here before, but rules are always changing, right?

So, I'm flying five hours for a quilting convention (Modern Quilt Convention, for anyone else who might be going). The convention supplies sewing machines for the workshops but we're asked to bring our own notions. I hate checking my suitcase, so I'm wondering if anyone has flown with their quilting supplies and, if so, what I'm allowed to bring on the plane in the way of scissors and rotary cutters and whatnot. I'm pretty sure snips are allowed, but probably not my rotary cutter or my favorite gingher dressmaker's scissors.....right???

Thanks,
Aso

Sync 02-14-2016 08:00 PM

I just flew from Az. to Pa. and back. As far as scissors, the blades must be under 4 inches. I doubt that a rotary cutter would be allowed as carry on. I was able to carry on my hand quilting needles.

Peckish 02-14-2016 11:03 PM

There was just a thread about this within the last couple of days. The responses varied, but I'm not sure how recent some of the experiences listed were.

Answers in that thread ranged quite a bit, it seemed to vary from airport to airport. I've been able to take my 4" scissors on board, and my MIL was denied a crochet hook.

You might have to check your luggage this time. ;)

Bree123 02-15-2016 02:05 AM

Here's the link to the TSA's Prohibited Items list:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ohibited-items

You can bring scissors only if their blades are 4" or less. Greater than that must be checked. I bring my Gingher 4" knife edge scissors on planes because the blades are only 3". You need to measure from the screw to the tip of the blade; I'm pretty sure Dressmaker Shears are way too long. You can bring the handle for your rotary cutter, but blades must be checked. Pins & needles are all fine. To Peggi's point, I also once had difficulty bringing a latchhook on board (for making rugs). The Security people didn't know what it was & wouldn't even let me toss it because then I got labeled a threat. I spent 20 minutes demonstrating how it was used and waiting for them to look it up on the web and get clearance from a supervisor before I was allowed to continue to the gate. So ... if it's some kind of specialty tool that a non-crafter might not immediately be able to identify, I'd pack it in your checked luggage. Not sure if you need to bring any starch/sizing, but if so, I'd either ship it or buy a small container of powdered corn starch and an empty spray bottle; you can mix your own using the coffee pot found in most hotel rooms.

Sometimes you can call ahead to the hotel & ship your items there to be picked up when you check in. I did that once for an informal quilt gathering in FL. Better option than having to catch a cab into town only to find out that all the other out-of-town quilters in your group already bought up the store's entire stock of scissors or rotary blades (which might have only been 2-3 units).

ManiacQuilter2 02-15-2016 06:43 AM

Could you contact the organization of what to do about a rotary cutter?? I would think that they would at least supply you with a rotary cutter.

paoberle 02-16-2016 04:40 AM

While everyone here means well, I would not trust any answer given here. Check with your airline to avoid any surprises or delays at the airport.

kyquiltlover1942 02-16-2016 04:53 AM

I always e-mail the particular airline I am using, as to what is acceptable. I then make sure I carry their reply with me to the airport. As for the rotary cutter, take the handle and buy a blade when you get there. It is not like you are ever going to use more blades.

Stitchnripper 02-16-2016 05:41 AM

I don't think an individual airline makes the call. I believe the TSA does when you go through security.

carol45 02-16-2016 06:35 AM

FYI, the rules for foreign airports are different. They're very arbitrary, and I almost had my less than 4" scissors confiscated this summer in a foreign airport. I had taken them along to do handwork in the plane. I put up a big fight and they eventually gave in, but I was pretty sure I was going to lose them. Very frustrating since there were no regulations posted at all.

AZ Jane 02-16-2016 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7466175)
Could you contact the organization of what to do about a rotary cutter?? I would think that they would at least supply you with a rotary cutter.

Better to contact the airline you are flying on.