Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flynn Multi-Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flynn-multi-frame-t235.html)

DonnaRae 04-06-2007 03:58 PM

Hi everyone. I just purchased the frame. I have not received it though. When you buy it, it comes ready to go with everything you need. Before you had to get poles or wood or something and set it up with muslin. But he does all that now. I have wanted a frame for quilting some time and finaly bit the bullet and bought this one. I looked for about a year for one. I did find another one built on the same priciple. But I emailed them and asked about doing large quilts on it and the answer sorta said you could do it after adding add'lt parts but sounded like really for smaller quilts. On QNN Nancy Z. did a show this week about quilt as you go panel by panel. It was awesome! Would work great with Flynn or alot of other frames. Anyway after I try it I will let you know what I think. :wink:

Joyce 04-10-2007 01:11 PM

I bought one about 4 years ago. I did not like it at all!
I had to purchase rods, pvc pipe, etc. It did not go together like the video claimed. I sent mine back.
The girls at guild had similar experiences as mine.
Joyce

Minda 04-22-2007 03:32 PM

I used one of the frames at the Lancaster Quilt Show and I loved it. John Flynn showed me how to use it correctly. I'm thinking about purchasing one.

susan s. 05-24-2007 07:12 AM

I had perused the NET for frames that attach to any sewing machine. Does this go with the sewing machine or is for hand quilting? How much are we looking at price wise?

DonnaRae 05-24-2007 07:33 AM

Hi, it goes with the sewing machine. I just got one about a month ago. It is awesome. Takes alittle getting use to but after practicing it starts to get easier. Is it going with a machine what you are looking for? If so, I bought the frame that Flynn has for 120.$ It comes almost tottaly set up with everything you need and a cd explaining everything. I was skeptable but now I am so glad I did not listen to some people that could just not get it. It is not that hard you just have to practice like anything.

Suz 05-24-2007 11:42 AM

Thanks ladies for all of you input.

My question is the amount of space between the needle and the back of the machine arm. Mine measures about 7 inches. How would you go about doing a design on a 10 or 12" block wherein it appears you can only do half of a design?

And, if you are working on a queen top, how much room space (sewing or diningroom) do you need (east and west in your room) to accommodate the long poles required for a 90" wide quilt. It seems to me you would need 90 or so inches in both directions when quilting on the right border and then the left border. Or do you just have to move your machine?

Thanks. Suzanne

desertdebbe 07-01-2007 09:43 AM

Hi, Now that I've had the Flynn frame a little while I can give a better
responce to this subject. The frame is great for the sole purpose there
is no basting but it is not without areas of concern. You'll be quilting along
and the pvc will suddenly stop (maybe on a piece of dust?) or move really quickly which messes you up. I have no problem with thread breakage unless I'm quilting from right to left. For some reason it breaks a lot then, I must be doing something different but I don't know what. I think the best way to describe how you use this frame is this:
Sit down to write a letter, instead of moving the pen, move the paper.
I think that says it all.

june6995 07-01-2007 10:03 AM

To Debbie Murray, I have read all the comments on all the subjects of frames after searching not only our board, but several others. I have done my own searches on Google, etc. I am specifically interested in hearing from those who own the frame and have used it. For me, experience is more valuable than opinons. Excperience is a valuable teacher.

Joyce, I still recall your words and add to them those who are not really genuinely satisfied with the Flynn frame.

To everyone else, I am still open to hearing what frames you have and why you like or dislike them. This can be a big expenditure if you decide to go with another frame/machine combo. I, like everyone else, want to get what works for me. I ask for information because I feel it will not only be of benefit to me, but to others who read it.

Thanks to all for your kind considerations. And thank you to those who do not get tired of sharing with those of us who are still learning.

June in Cincinnati

DonnaRae 07-01-2007 05:39 PM

Hi everyone, I bought the Flynn Frame a few months back. I am so happy that I did. It definetly takes time to learn. If you expect to get right on it and be a pro than purchase something else. I did get mad at times but kept at it. I am still learning but can stipple and follow patterns now. I have had no thread breaking. Maybe the tension on the sewing machine needs to be checked as mine did. For the cost it is great and will do the job. I also would love a long arm but do not have the money. The Flynn machine is quilt awesome considering the cost, you can get extra rods and put one aside then quilt something else if you want and can learn with patience! Hope I helped some-one. DonnaRae

vicki reno 07-03-2007 06:28 PM

I have wanted one for years and everytime I go the Mid Atlantic Quilt Show, he is there demoing it. This year, 2008, will probably be the last time I get to this show. It'll be too long a trip from our retirement home in the mtns--like a 10 hr ride, so I am saving to get it in February of 2008 when I go. The only problem is that I WANT IT NOW :!: But I am going to wait. :?