Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flynn Quilting Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flynn-quilting-frame-t24200.html)

SharonC 08-14-2009 04:33 PM

I can't get a LA (yet) so I was looking into the Flynn QF. Can any of you tell me the pros and cons you've ran into?
I think it will be advantageous for me to get one, but don't want to add to my never ending pile of "un-used toys" :)
Any help would be appreciated.
Sharon

hulahoop1 08-14-2009 05:00 PM

I looked at the Flynn but didn't like the idea of the sewing machine being stationary and wrestling with the quilt back and forth on pvc pipes on a long table. I needed something that I could better control. I knew I would get too frustrated with this set-up.

hulahoop1 08-14-2009 05:01 PM

There are some who have had great results with this frame. It wasn't for me, tho.

kluedesigns 08-14-2009 05:30 PM

i'm very happy with my flynn quilting frame.

i didn't have any problem with the switch to quilting from the side of the sewing machine.

it didn't take long to master moving the quilt around on the pvc pipes. i now guide my quilts with 2 fingers when i'm quilting, its that smooth.

i typically lay down utility stitches (like stitch in the ditch) first and then i pull out the middle rod. this way i can move the quilt back and forth however i wish since the 3 layers are being held together by the SITD.

this allows me to do more complex designs without having to cut the threads off and move to the next section.

if i don't plan to do any SITD i put done long basting stitches on the flynn and then i pull out the middle rod.

once i'm done with all the complex designs i just cut out all the basting stitches.

kluedesigns 08-14-2009 05:31 PM

i should also let you know that i usually don't make quilts over 6 feet square.

although i have quilted a King size quilt on the flynn and it wasn't that bad.

littlehud 08-14-2009 06:08 PM

Mine works OK on smaller quilts but I like to make larger quilts and I haven't been able to master using it. Mine sits unused most of the time.

LucyInTheSky 09-06-2009 11:49 PM

kluedesigns - How were you able to quilt a king size quilt on the Flynn? I can't find rods that will fit with the end pieces, so I can't figure out how to extend the system :(

Nzm 09-07-2009 06:25 AM

:roll: Hi,
Im new to this. was interested in getting some help with free motion quilting - Im awful at it.. so was considering the Flynn frame or the Fabric motion gizmo that Viking at Joann Fabrics sells.. Please comment on what would be better.

kluedesigns 09-07-2009 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
kluedesigns - How were you able to quilt a king size quilt on the Flynn? I can't find rods that will fit with the end pieces, so I can't figure out how to extend the system :(

go to home depot and buy some rods of electrical conduit. then you can cut it down to whatever size you need.

kluedesigns 09-07-2009 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nzm
:roll: Hi,
Im new to this. was interested in getting some help with free motion quilting - Im awful at it.. so was considering the Flynn frame or the Fabric motion gizmo that Viking at Joann Fabrics sells.. Please comment on what would be better.

i don't have the fabric mover but i did comparison shop it when considering the flynn frame.

i spent 2 hours quilting on the fabric mover with a 60 x 60 quilt and it was still difficult to work with. i intentionally brought my own quilt to the store for this reason.

they always have the mover set up with a small quilt sandwich and lets face it how is it to quilt something that 18 x 18. its the large quilts that have drag thats the problem.

i've also altered my sewing table so that its easier to quilt. this is the link to the set up i have - it cost a couple of bucks from home depot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25...eature=related