Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ Dilemma (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-dilemma-t169455.html)

MoanaWahine 11-22-2011 11:45 AM

FMQ Dilemma

I had started to FMQ a small quilt of mine. Liked what I had done so far, but then the ideas ran dry as to what to do with the rest. That was a couple of months ago. In the mean time I have been reading and looking on the net to come up with ideas. Nothing came to me. Took a look at the quilt today and the ideas started to pop in my head. Good thing!!! :D

Got the machine all set up to do more FMQing and then realized that the thread I was using is running low. :shock: Called a couple of LQS (all 30 miles from me) to see if they had the thread that I needed, since I could not remember which one I got it from. The one I was hoping for did not have it. This one I could have stopped at when I take my son to TaeKwonDo tonight. The one that I need to go to is in the opposite direction of where I will be at by at least 30 miles. Would go tomorrow but need to get things cooking for Turkey Day. :rolleyes: Because of the Holiday weekend, I now need to wait until Monday before I can get there.:(

I had the thread, no ideas. Now I have the ideas, but no thread. At least I can write down the ideas and will start back up once I get the thread.

Can anybody relate to this little dilemma????

CorgiNole 11-22-2011 11:55 AM

Can totally relate.

Be sure to write down your ideas while they are fresh. And those may trigger more ideas to come.

If it were me, I'd make the trip to get the thread so that I could use it over the holiday weekend.

Cheers, K

DogHouseMom 11-22-2011 12:01 PM

I hear you sister!!! I was in the same boat and ran out of water soluble thread which I use to baste my quilt sandwich. There is no "subsitute" for water soluble and none of the stores near me had any. All had of course offered to order it for me, but I needed it NOW.

I'm with Noel .... do whatever you can to get the thread. You'll thank yourself for it over the long holiday weekend and you can say "done" instead of "time to get the thread!".

MoanaWahine 11-22-2011 12:24 PM

I hear you both on getting the thread. The problem is that I am normally very busy over this weekend. Thursday, Dinner here with DH and 2 sons. Small, but still a productions with all the Thanksgiving things. Friday through the weekend is slated to get all the Christmas stuff out. Putting up the tree and decorating. The kids love this time of the year. When there is spare time, it is spent with the family. There are a few things that I can do when it comes to sewing, but I really do not anticipate any of that happening. Plus, if I would make it to the store tomorrow, I would have to bring both boys (5 & 9) to the LQS. This is not that fun to do and they do not like it. Best spent here getting pies cooked :o

AndiR 11-22-2011 12:53 PM

Ask them if they can mail it. Thread is small and light and shouldn't cost much for postage, it would probably be less than the amount of gas you would spend driving there and back!

QuiltnNan 11-22-2011 03:56 PM

absolutely. that's why i have so many scraps and spools with just some thread... i want to make sure i don't run out. the last time it happened, it was the week before Christmas, and i didn't want to go near the stores, but had to :)

amma 11-22-2011 04:00 PM

Yep! It is Murphy's Law :) :) :)

deemail 11-22-2011 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by MoanaWahine (Post 4710183)
I had started to FMQ a small quilt of mine. Liked what I had done so far, but then the ideas ran dry as to what to do with the rest. That was a couple of months ago. In the mean time I have been reading and looking on the net to come up with ideas. Nothing came to me. Took a look at the quilt today and the ideas started to pop in my head. Good thing!!! :D

Got the machine all set up to do more FMQing and then realized that the thread I was using is running low. :shock: Called a couple of LQS (all 30 miles from me) to see if they had the thread that I needed, since I could not remember which one I got it from. The one I was hoping for did not have it. This one I could have stopped at when I take my son to TaeKwonDo tonight. The one that I need to go to is in the opposite direction of where I will be at by at least 30 miles. Would go tomorrow but need to get things cooking for Turkey Day. :rolleyes: Because of the Holiday weekend, I now need to wait until Monday before I can get there.:(

I had the thread, no ideas. Now I have the ideas, but no thread. At least I can write down the ideas and will start back up once I get the thread.

Can anybody relate to this little dilemma????

here is the best blog i've found to stir up the juices and either use her inspirations or use hers for new inspirations...you will enjoy....

http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

Merivale 11-22-2011 11:35 PM

The other Sunday DH was out for the day, I had spent the last two days doing house work, gardening and emptied the ironing basket so that Sunday was all mine to finish the FMQ on a large project. Not three minutes after starting I ran out of thread. Nothing open on a Sunday in this area, so after much grumbling, mumbling and any number of heavy sighs I picked up some hand sewing, still waiting to get to that FMQ. So I sympathize with you, still more time with the family.

MoanaWahine 11-23-2011 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by deemail (Post 4711852)
here is the best blog i've found to stir up the juices and either use her inspirations or use hers for new inspirations...you will enjoy....

http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

To funny!! This is the site where I got my ideas from. :D I keep going back to her all the time!!