Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ and Janome 6500 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-janome-6500-a-t216381.html)

KathieS 03-14-2013 12:44 PM

FMQ and Janome 6500

I just broke 4 needles in less than an hour. I have cleaned the bobbin area and checked the threading. Does anyone have tips/advice on the optimum settings for FMQ with this domestic machine ??? I would appreciate your thoughts.

nativetexan 03-14-2013 01:53 PM

are you using a darning foot (has spring on the shaft)? you do fairly fast foot pedal speed while you move the quilt itself slower. that makes for smaller stitches. needles should not be breaking. i can only think you are moving the quilt much too fast and perhaps not using a darning foot.

grammy Dwynn 03-14-2013 02:23 PM

I have a 6500 and (sorry) have no problem FMQ with it.

I use my darning/FM foot, drop the feed dogs (but have tried it with the feed dogs up, with no problem) and I use a top stitch needle. Also I do a practice run (warm up, to get in the rhythm), before I work on the quilt.

It really is a balance of getting the needle at a 'certain' speed and your hands (moving the quilt) at another speed (slower). The needle going faster then the movement of the quilt. Have you ever tried to pat your head and rub your tummy? Hard to do for some and easy for others. Also taking the weight of the quilt so that it is not pulling/dragging the quilt. I have put my ironing board to my left to hold the weight.

My guess for the broken needles ~ quilt dragging, trying to move the quilt to fast, thread catching or being pulled.

Hope you find the 'sweet spot' of FMQ. ;)

KathieS 03-14-2013 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn (Post 5928568)
I have a 6500 and (sorry) have no problem FMQ with it.

I use my darning/FM foot, drop the feed dogs (but have tried it with the feed dogs up, with no problem) and I use a top stitch needle. Also I do a practice run (warm up, to get in the rhythm), before I work on the quilt.

It really is a balance of getting the needle at a 'certain' speed and your hands (moving the quilt) at another speed (slower). The needle going faster then the movement of the quilt. Have you ever tried to pat your head and rub your tummy? Hard to do for some and easy for others. Also taking the weight of the quilt so that it is not pulling/dragging the quilt. I have put my ironing board to my left to hold the weight.

My guess for the broken needles ~ quilt dragging, trying to move the quilt to fast, thread catching or being pulled.

Hope you find the 'sweet spot' of FMQ. ;)

You may be right - maybe I am trying to move the quilt too fast as I am new to FMQ. I was using an all purpose needle (#14) and am now trying a denim weight (#16). Could the needle size be the problem ? Where do you set your upper tension (thread tension) ? And yes, I am using a darning foot. Thanks for your reply !

KathieS 03-14-2013 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5928475)
are you using a darning foot (has spring on the shaft)? you do fairly fast foot pedal speed while you move the quilt itself slower. that makes for smaller stitches. needles should not be breaking. i can only think you are moving the quilt much too fast and perhaps not using a darning foot.

I am using a darning foot but may be moving too fast as I am new at this. I was using an all purpose needle (#14) but think I will try a denim needle (#16). What size needle do you use ? Where do you set your (upper) thread tension - I am at 4.

Prism99 03-14-2013 05:29 PM

A larger needle will flex less, so switching to the heavier needle should help. Try loosening the upper thread tension a little too, especially if you think you might be moving the quilt too fast.

deedum 03-14-2013 06:56 PM

1. use a #16 needle
2. use the start button, not the foot peddle. the start button will give you even speed.
3. I have the upper tension at 3 and it is great.

I have no problem doing fm on my janome

KathieS 03-15-2013 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5928915)
A larger needle will flex less, so switching to the heavier needle should help. Try loosening the upper thread tension a little too, especially if you think you might be moving the quilt too fast.

I will try your suggestions - thanks so much !

KathieS 03-15-2013 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by deedum (Post 5929036)
1. use a #16 needle
2. use the start button, not the foot peddle. the start button will give you even speed.
3. I have the upper tension at 3 and it is great.

I have no problem doing fm on my janome

I will definitely be playing with upper tension starting with 3 as you recommended. Hopefully the needle size and tension changes will do the trick. Thank you for your reply !