Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A FMQ "lightbulb" moment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-lightbulb-moment-t291925.html)

tscweaves 10-17-2017 09:16 AM

A FMQ "lightbulb" moment

Sometimes I just do not think things through all the way. I keep reading about how wonderful Singer 15 machines are for fmq, and since I have a 15-88 treadle I figured, hmm, piece of cake. I purchased a set of Westalee rulers & ruler foot and proceeded to try to teach myself to fmq with rulers on my treadle. The results have been quite mixed. I have a heck of a time getting even stitch length and controlling the frequent stops and starts. Then the lightbulb went off - I also have a singer 201-2 that the feed dogs drop and it sews beautifully, the ruler foot fits, and it is electric. So I dropped the dogs, put on the ruler foot, and oh goodness, how much better fmq is going. This is just great because I am in the process of finishing up a top that I really wanted to do some design work on. Oh man, I could have had a V-8! LOL

NZquilter 10-17-2017 11:30 AM

Good for you! I'm glad to hear of your ease of FMQ on your 201-2 too. I have a friend who has a 201-2 that she wants to use for FMQ but I've been worried that it might be hard with the horizontal bobbin. Good to hear you aren't having any problems! I'll let my friend know!

Tartan 10-17-2017 11:34 AM

You were doing pretty good on your treadle so you must be excellent on your electric.

JustAbitCrazy 10-17-2017 01:55 PM

I can't even imagine trying to do that with a treadle machine. You must be very talented!

tscweaves 10-17-2017 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7926474)
You were doing pretty good on your treadle so you must be excellent on your electric.

Thanks for saying that but what I did not show was the backside. Everytime the handwheel would spin a bit backwards and I'd catch it and go forward, it either created a thread nest on the back or broke the top thread. The front side didn't look too bad, but the back was unacceptable. I am sure that in the future I will go back to the treadle once I have more experience with the rulers & fmq because it was just plain fun - and I really like to have fun with my toys:-)

tscweaves 10-17-2017 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 7926551)
I can't even imagine trying to do that with a treadle machine. You must be very talented!

Not really, I just did not know any better than not to do it! LOL

dunster 10-17-2017 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by tscweaves (Post 7926555)
Not really, I just did not know any better than not to do it! LOL

I love this attitude!

midwife 10-17-2017 03:12 PM

I used to have my 201 on a hinterberg frame. It worked great.

midwife 10-17-2017 03:29 PM

I used to have my 201 on a hinterberg frame. It worked great.

Jingle 10-17-2017 04:30 PM

Good for you. I do fmq on a electric sewing machine. Have not tried rulers yet.