Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ and puckers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-puckers-t89514.html)

cmilton 01-11-2011 05:16 AM

I am new to FMQ. I just finished a lap quilt. It has a couple of puckers on the back. Will they still be noticeable when i wash it? Do i have to take it all out to fix it? Help please!!

kclausing 01-11-2011 05:21 AM

I gives it character! :)
After being washed it may not be as noticeable, but it will not disappear. But as my friends tell me, if they wanted an absolutely perfect quilt, they'd buy a mass produced one from the store. The imprefections mean it was made with love.

sally's girl 01-11-2011 05:43 AM

Love your avatar, reminds me of Josie, my black pug...if she can't sit on my lap she will lay on my shoes

Originally Posted by kclausing
After being washed it may not be as noticeable, but it will not disappear. But as my friends tell me, if they wanted an absolutely perfect quilt, they'd buy a mass produced one from the store. The imprefections mean it was made with love.

Maggie_1963 01-11-2011 05:53 AM

I totally agree here! I too, am fairly new to FMQ, and those puckers are special "love" stitches, one of a kind, that go in to that quilt! My favorite quilts are imperfect ones!

bigsister63 01-11-2011 06:26 AM

Love that theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GemState 01-11-2011 06:45 AM

In a class I took the instructor showed us how to fix the puckers. rip out the stitching on each side of the pucker. Using thin, thin pins (can't think of the name of them right now) you pin closely together from the back easing in the fullness, until the pucker is gone, then from the front you can stitch slowly right over the pins. You will be more satisfied with the puckers gone.

GemState 01-11-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by GemState
In a class I took the instructor showed us how to fix the puckers. rip out the stitching on each side of the pucker. Using thin, thin pins (can't think of the name of them right now) you pin closely together from the back easing in the fullness, until the pucker is gone, then from the front you can stitch slowly right over the pins. You will be more satisfied with the puckers gone.

I just remembered! I think they are dressmakers pins.

sueisallaboutquilts 01-11-2011 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63

Love that theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

amma 01-11-2011 10:09 AM

If the puckers are small, I would just leave them alone :D:D:D

cmilton 01-11-2011 12:40 PM

Thank you GemState!