Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-question-t245102.html)

Kitty10628 04-13-2014 02:58 PM

FMQ question

The best FMQ advice I have read is...... dont worry about the back. That helped me to just do some FMQ!

Now I am pretty confident about the top of my work...now Im starting to worry about the back.

Sometimes my stitches look good on the back and sometimes they seem to run together like a line. Does this mean I am going too fast, or too slow?

Thanks for your advice!

kitty

quiltlady1941 04-13-2014 03:02 PM

I'll be watching this post as this happens to me too.. don;t know what I am doing wrong

Tartan 04-13-2014 03:14 PM

Do you mean the bobbin thread is running along the back instead of in the sandwich? If so, this means your tension isn't balanced for a proper stitch. You need to adjust the top tension tighter or the bobbin looser until the 2 threads cross each other within the sandwich.

Kitty10628 04-13-2014 03:21 PM

Tartan....

Some of the stitches are fine but others run together.

Tartan 04-13-2014 03:33 PM

Are the stitches bigger where the tension problems is? It may be from moving the sandwich too fast in the curves or the machine to make the stitch. It is difficult to get a perfect machine speed and moving the sandwich speed. If you have a speed control on your machine it will be a great help when you get it in the perfect spot for you.

Kitty10628 04-13-2014 03:39 PM

That makes sense to me. The stitches are bigger so I must be moving too fast! Never thought of it in that way.

I do have speed control but I am not confident enough to use it full speed. I will have to slow down my hands until I am comfortable enough to speed up my machine.

Thanks!

bjchad 04-13-2014 03:53 PM

It may be a tension problem but it can also be moving unevenly - usually too fast on curves. Try to fight the "swoop" effect when you go around curves. It may also be a problem if you use different threads in top and bobbin and the bobbin thread is much lighter in weight than the top thread. Some difference In weight is ok but not too much.

carrieg 04-13-2014 05:18 PM

Best FMQ advice I ever got - Slow Down! LOL Match your hand movement speed with the machine speed.

Kitty10628 04-13-2014 05:28 PM

Yes Carol! That totally did it. I stitched so much slower than I thought I should and the back looks pretty good!

Some of my stitches are a little close but I am happy with the back now.

Pretty soon I will be perfect!

haha

ManiacQuilter2 04-14-2014 11:35 AM

Another hint is don't look at where the needle is at the moment because you are already THERE !! Look at where you want the needle to travel. It is just like driving. you don't look just in the front of your car. You look farther down the road and to your right and left. Same concept. Look where you are going. Hope this makes sense. When I heard this, the light turned on and my FMQ improved.