Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-question-t32616.html)

QuiltMania 12-29-2009 06:27 PM

Now that I have a machine that will do FMQ (thank you Santa!) I want to learn how to do FMQ. So far, the only machine quilting I have really done is straight line, in the ditch. My question is do you do a couple of backstitches at the start and end of your FMQ lines? If not, how do you secure the stitching and keep it from unravelling?

momto4 12-29-2009 06:49 PM

Sry i can not help you. Santa wasnt that good to me! :P Seriously though I have never tried it before so not the first clue where to start but im POSITIVE someone here will be able to help you.

Barb_MO 12-29-2009 07:06 PM

I just start sewing, but don't move the fabric for a few stitches, then start the free motion. That probably is not the correct way to do it, so will be interested in what the real free motion quilters say.

cjc 12-29-2009 07:14 PM

You pull the bobbin thread up from the bottom, either set your stitch length to 0 if you are doing straight stitch or stitch in the ditch, make a few stitches, then set your stitch length to normal or if you are FMQ just stitch in place for a few stitches then start moving.

amma 12-29-2009 07:19 PM

If you are sewing your binding on by machine, start in the very edge of the quilt, the stitches will be secure and you can FMQ in and out of the seamline. If you are binding by hand, start with 3 or 4 very small stitches and end the same way, staying out of the seam line.
It was just discussed that when you hand sew the binding, your stitches may show due to the quilting in the seam lines. :D:D:D

Oklahoma Suzie 12-29-2009 07:23 PM

Sorry, I have not tried it yet. show us some pics when you get some.

katier825 12-29-2009 09:04 PM

If you do a few tiny stitches before you get going, it will hold. Pulling the bobbin thread up when starting took me a while to get the hang of, but I finally did. If you can take a class at a local quilt shop, it will probably be helpful. There are also many videos on You Tube you can check out. It takes practice, and patience. Make up a bunch of "sandwiches" and practice. I also tested several different kinds of thread and marked them on the sandwich. There were some that didn't do well with my machine. That way, I can keep track of what's best to use. Have fun practicing! :)

littlehud 01-03-2010 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
I just start sewing, but don't move the fabric for a few stitches, then start the free motion. That probably is not the correct way to do it, so will be interested in what the real free motion quilters say.

I do the same thing. It works for me. Just remember to pull up your bobbin thread first.

quilttiludrop 12-27-2010 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by cjc
You pull the bobbin thread up from the bottom, either set your stitch length to 0 if you are doing straight stitch or stitch in the ditch, make a few stitches, then set your stitch length to normal or if you are FMQ just stitch in place for a few stitches then start moving.

You do need to secure your stitching either by stitching in place 3-4 stitches, or back and forth 3-4 stitches.

wolfkitty 12-27-2010 08:04 PM

Thank you for the question and all your replies. I hope to begin FMQ soon, and this discussion has been very helpful.