Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ Question: what do with ends? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-question-what-do-ends-t162351.html)

kwiltnutt 10-23-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
i pull both threads to the top, take a few stitches tightly together, then stop and trim those threads. then i continue. when done, i take some stitches tightly together and then clip those threads. done.

What she said!

GGinMcKinney 10-23-2011 09:41 AM

Ditto!

Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
That's very tidy, but I was taught to stitch in place then clip the threads at starts and stops.

dahlshouse 10-23-2011 10:29 AM

same here... if really short thread , I insert needle in material first .. then thread it and pull thru..

Originally Posted by littlehud
I tie them in knots and use a needle to bury the knot.

grannypat7925 10-23-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
That's very tidy, but I was taught to stitch in place then clip the threads at starts and stops.

That's how I do it!

Deborahlees 10-23-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by KimS

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I prefer, because I am not the neat, to pull them to the back, tie the two together with a square knot, then thread a needle with the two threads, and bury into the middle of the batting...... that is the CORRECT way to do it....myself I cut them off and call it good !!!

Was going through here reading and when I read your response I thought, "Uh oh! You've been doing it wrong and now all of your quilting is going to come loose!!" :shock: Then got to the part where you said you just cut them off and call it good. Whew! Because that's what I do.

thanks for the valadation....

KSellers 10-23-2011 12:54 PM

I finish on the edge, put a few extra stitches in, and clip the threads. The binding then covers and secures the stitches.

muttmama 10-23-2011 01:05 PM

I like the way you think.

Miss Priss 10-23-2011 01:31 PM

I try to pull up enough to bury in the quilt as if I were starting a hand quilted project. Then continue on with my machine quilting. Wrap the thread 3 times around the needle, pull to the end of the thread, then put needle in and pull the know thru.

quiltmom04 10-23-2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jillaine
Ah the stitching in place... that can replace the knotting then?

Yes it can ! If you've ever tried to pick out some stitching that his been stitched over and stitched over, you know it's not going anywhere !

georgiat 10-23-2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth
how do you bring the bobbin thread to the top (if it is what I think it is, just having both threads exit the quilt from the top)

do you just put it on a sewing needle and stitch it to the top?

When you stop (after you take the locking stitches) push the machine away from you 3-4 inches to get some slack, then pull it back to you, take one stitch and pull up the bobbin just like you lock when you start then clip the end of the bobbin that that is closest to the quilt top. Clear as mud?