Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fmq (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-t171162.html)

Shirls4sons 12-07-2011 08:02 AM

I have not done FMQ..yet...but want to learn. I'm grateful for this thread. I think turning the machine would be the most helpful, so I will do that when I'm ready to start learning. (Not until after Holidays..to busy to play :) )

GRANNYMO 12-07-2011 12:14 PM

Thank you for all of your help. I have a brother pc8500. I can see the needle with the machine turned sideways (have to use a different light source than needle light). I can also set the stitch direction so that I can stitch in the ditch using the feed dogs up. I could not really see why it would cause harm to my machine, but after being warned, it kind of scared me. Thanks again for your replies. This is the greatest board. I have really learned a lot here.

Pinkiris 12-07-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 4759496)
I tried this..just can't get the hang of NOT seeing where my needles is heading...drives me nuts..so back to normal it went!

I'm confused, Jacquie. If your machine is turned, the needle is still right in front of you, right? The only difference is that you don't have the body of the machine to your right and open space to the left. You would have open space along side of each hand. What prevents you from seeing where your needle is heading?

Hope you're staying bundled up in OK! My daughter is freezing down there!

mhansen6 12-08-2011 07:22 AM

I have to try this. Sounds like a great way to quilt. I don't think that it would mess up your timing. How does your sewing machine know how it is turned.

Happy Linda 12-08-2011 07:47 AM

I also FMQ this way. The fabric is much easier to handle. I don't understand how it would hurt the tension. The fabric is moving the same as it does with the sewing machine in the horizontal position.

RugosaB 12-08-2011 08:28 AM

fmq

3 Attachment(s)
I've had it in the back of my mind for about 6 months, to try this. The thing is, the only way I could do it is to set the machine on TOP of the table, so it would be about 3" higher than normal sewing position

I've thought about it, and rejected the idea of cutting the top and filling in the little hole when it's regular position, because I just can't ask my husband to cut the table that he so lovingly built to my specifications. He's already cut a hole for when the machine is in the customary position

He's already made an insert for if I need to use the table (such as pinning a quilt)without a hole)
So, do you think having it a little higher is ok? Do you stand up when it's sideways?

WMUTeach 12-08-2011 08:31 AM

WOW! never thought of it. I will have to give this a try. I have a quilt to be finished by.... Thursday! An it is exam and grading week at the university. Why oh, why do I do this to myself?

cacarte 12-08-2011 10:00 AM

I think this is a good idea and am going to try it myself. The machine is not moving the fabric so I feel confident that this would not damage my machine.

shadowrider 12-08-2011 10:03 AM

Thanks for the great tip. I do lots of FMQ. Anything that makes it easier is a plus.

Painiacs 12-08-2011 10:50 AM

Wow. Neat idea!!!!!!!!