Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fmq (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-t201874.html)

KathyRobin 09-30-2012 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gail B (Post 5551425)
I also use the same size needle I use for piecing. I was at a quilt show a couple of weeks ago & was told by one of the gals that you shouldn't change tension for FMQ. I never change my tension & it works for me.

If dropping the feed dogs doesn't work today, I'll try going back to regular tension. I'm just afraid that I'll get crappy stitches again. Thanks.

Deborahlees 09-30-2012 06:26 AM

When I start to stitch, I ALWAYS make sure I am holding the two tails of the threads, once you get going you should be find. I do agree with the larger needle and it should be a topsitch needle that has a "Larger Eye".....
I change the tension IF I am using a thicker batting....are you sure your Feed Dogs are down.....

QuiltE 09-30-2012 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gail B (Post 5551425)
I was at a quilt show a couple of weeks ago & was told by one of the gals that you shouldn't change tension for FMQ. I never change my tension & it works for me.

There are SO many ifs, ands and buts ... however there is no absolute!

It it works for you to not change your tension, that's great.
The variables are endless.

To be advised that it should NEVER be done, is oh so poor advice.
Be careful when someone says always, must, never ... they're almsot always wrong!!!!!!!

KathyRobin 09-30-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5551588)
When I start to stitch, I ALWAYS make sure I am holding the two tails of the threads, once you get going you should be find. I do agree with the larger needle and it should be a topsitch needle that has a "Larger Eye".....
I change the tension IF I am using a thicker batting....are you sure your Feed Dogs are down.....

I put the feed dogs down, still no improvement. I changed the top tension gradually, still no improvement. I changed the bobbin tension by a quarter turn of the screw. Bottom stitches went back to being crappy so I returned the screw to where I was getting good stitches. And yes I always hold onto the tail. It's only when I get on down the stitching line that the top thread either wind around the needle or it starts to fray and breaks. I would think the looping is because the tension is too loose but the fraying tells me the tension's too tight. I'll just have to take the machine back to the dealer along with my quilt and show the quilting expert there just what it's doing. Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Kathy

newbee3 09-30-2012 07:56 AM

is the thread feeding in horizonial or vertical?? Might try using a cone thread holder.

KathyRobin 09-30-2012 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Patti25314 (Post 5550618)
Sounds like you are using the wrong size needle. I use a Top Stitch 100 when I do FMQ.

I was looking on-line for top stitch needles. I have found 100/16. Would that be correct to buy? Thanks

sew_Tracy 09-30-2012 02:16 PM

Sounds to me like the thread might be catching somewhere. I was having a breakage problem and some knotting. I was advised to make sure my needle was sharp and maybe try a different thread. I was using a heavier "quilting" thread. Switched out threads and needle and life was good.

KathyRobin 09-30-2012 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3 (Post 5551833)
is the thread feeding in horizonial or vertical?? Might try using a cone thread holder.

I have a vertical thread feeder so I'm using cone now. I have ordered some thread that Leah Day recommends and I ordered the 100/16 Top-stitch needles. Hopefully, in a few days my troubles will be over.:o

KathyRobin 09-30-2012 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Missus Fear (Post 5552604)
Sounds to me like the thread might be catching somewhere. I was having a breakage problem and some knotting. I was advised to make sure my needle was sharp and maybe try a different thread. I was using a heavier "quilting" thread. Switched out threads and needle and life was good.

Well, I've ordered new thread and needles so I'll report back when I've tried them. One good thing about being postmaster of our little town I know exactly when my stuff comes in.:o

QM 09-30-2012 03:11 PM

I have never had this particular problem, although I certainly sympathize. Do you "set" the thread in the tensioners? (pull slightly to get it clear in). Always thread with the presser foot up. I say this because it sounds like an upper thread tension problem to me. Speeding up usually does not help with FMQ problems. Are you using all of the "thread path" to control the thread? There are only a few reasons to bother changing the tension setting, such as extra light/heavy thread. Usually if I have thread shredding, I suspect 1) a needle burr 2) lint in the machine, especially around the feed dogs. 3) burr on bobbin/bobbin case. Of course, any time I have problems my general approach is to stop, clean/oil the machine, completly rethread it. Both my quilting instructor and my dealer say this.

I hope I have not been too heavy handed with my answer.