Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fmq (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-t268728.html)

bearisgray 08-13-2015 02:33 PM

Fmq

I compare FMQ in quilting to being able to do jumps while ice skating.

One can still enjoy making a quilt without being able to FMQ - and I think people can enjoy ice skating if they are unable to do jumps.

YC Quilter 08-13-2015 02:43 PM

Absolutely! But it's fun to try both.

dunster 08-13-2015 02:44 PM

But I've never heard of someone breaking a bone while practicing FMQ.

M.Elizabeth 08-13-2015 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7285610)
But I've never heard of someone breaking a bone while practicing FMQ.

Which I would definitely do while ice skating! My skating is limited to watching on TV.

Becky's Crafts 08-13-2015 04:17 PM

I used to ice skate when I was younger, but couldn't do more than a hop on the ice. I did enjoy doing twirls though! My FMQ is much better than my skating was and I've got a long way to go to be as good as I want to be!! I quilt my own quilts on a DSM and am always trying new things. No one's ever been disappointed with my quilts, so I guess I must do ok! Certainly no where near as good as the long-armers!

MadQuilter 08-13-2015 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7285600)
I compare FMQ in quilting to being able to do jumps while ice skating.

I think there are some relatively simple FMQ patterns that do not require jumps. Loops for example. I was so horrid at FMQ for a long time, I told everyone that I didn't even suck at it. Getting to the "I suck at this" stage was a real improvement. Lately I finished my very first FMQ project and I am pleased with the results. (See "Living the American Dream" thread in the pictures section.) It isn't great but it is happy. The more I practice, the better I get. Now putting me in ice-skates would land me in hospital and that is without jumps. lol

ukdame 08-13-2015 07:05 PM

Thank goodness my trusty Babylock has some decorative stitches to get me by for now . Practice does NOT make perfect in my case. Is it easier if you use a template as I have too many sharp turns.:mad:

Bree123 08-13-2015 09:36 PM

It is easier to mark your quilt lines on your quilt (I like Crayola Ultra Clean markers or crayons) and start with a larger design. Leah Day recommends a 2" design for beginners. Probably 1" would be fine, too. The important thing is to pick a very simple design to start with and work from there. Too many of us pick fancy FMQ designs & then are frustrated when we can't do them as our first design. Reality sets in pretty quickly with FMQ.

That said, yes, there are plenty of beautiful quilts with only straight line quilting.

DOTTYMO 08-13-2015 10:01 PM

Easier to glide over fabric than ice. Jump!- no way in both dangerous.

Claire123 08-13-2015 10:09 PM

Yes, I'm with you. I'm hoping to master at least the basics.