Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ - Thin Border Suggestions Needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-thin-border-suggestions-needed-t300565.html)

Moira in N.E. England 10-30-2018 02:30 AM

FMQ - Thin Border Suggestions Needed

Today I looked at the quilts I have made for Project Linus and decided I really need to add to the quilting.

I have only ever used Stitch-in the-Ditch but I now think it’s time I tried something different. I have watch a lot of tutorials on YouTube etc and have been practicing and am beginning to get the hang of meandering and stippling but I think the next step is that I try something on an actual quilt.

I want to FMQ on the thin (2 inch) borders that I have put on a couple of the quilts but I’m not sure if meandering would work. I will be using a small domestic sewing machine.

Any suggested on how to ‘take the plunge’ would be really appreciated.

Tartan 10-30-2018 02:45 AM

​Try doing loops or long e’s.

Watson 10-30-2018 02:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Try this one in a thin border.

Watson
[ATTACH=CONFIG]603249[/ATTACH]

ArtsyOne 10-30-2018 03:39 AM

I sometimes do strings of flowers in these narrow vertical areas. Just do a curvy line and then some "petals" before continuing with another curvy line. Another thing to do is a straight line broken up with a "snail" circle that continues to another straight line. Good luck - you'll do just fine!

bjchad 10-30-2018 03:46 AM

Check our Queen of Remnants on YouTube particularly vine border and faux geese.

Jingle 10-30-2018 02:20 PM

I just do squiggly lines and a few loops.

quiltingshorttimer 10-30-2018 07:57 PM

my "go-to" is the wishbone like Watson showed. But another one you could use is a ribbon--do a gently curving line, at the end do a notch like a ribbon, and then go back over the line, and cross over right before you get to each curve. Practice on paper--you'll be able to do more than you think!

sewbizgirl 10-30-2018 08:19 PM

I like to do loop de loops. They go fast and look cute.

Moira in N.E. England 10-31-2018 01:11 AM

Thank you for your suggestions.

I eventually plucked up the courage to attempt something similar to Watson’s idea. All I can say is every loop is a different shape and size, there’s not two stitches the same length and the lines are crooked - but it’s my first attempt and it’s staying put!

WMUTeach 10-31-2018 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England (Post 8152650)
Thank you for your suggestions.

I eventually plucked up the courage to attempt something similar to Watson’s idea. All I can say is every loop is a different shape and size, there’s not two stitches the same length and the lines are crooked - but it’s my first attempt and it’s staying put!

Good for you! Being an adventurer is fun and look at all you have learned. The next attempt will be more "perfect", as if any quilt is ever perfect in the eye of the maker. Quilt on!