Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMS how do you regulate stitch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fms-how-do-you-regulate-stitch-t52864.html)

pollyjvan9 07-06-2010 02:39 PM

If you machine speed is FAST and your hand movements are SLOW your stitches will be very SMALL. The opposite is true also, SLOW machine, FAST hands, you get really big stitches. It just takes lots of practice (like driving a manual car) to get your rhythm down for a consistent stitch length.

karen Cicio 07-06-2010 03:00 PM

When I first began to FMQ I had the same problem. If I sew fast and continuously move and get a rythym down the stiches are much more even. I always practice on some sandwich material first, to get into the rythym and feel. The best advice is practice, practice and practice some more.

karen Cicio 07-06-2010 03:01 PM

When I first began to FMQ I had the same problem. If I sew fast and continuously move and get a rythym down the stiches are much more even. I always practice on some sandwich material first, to get into the rythym and feel. The best advice is practice, practice and practice some more.

anniec55 07-06-2010 05:39 PM

Everyone has given some great advise!! Do you like music? put on the headphones and some great tunes, and go!!! music seems to help me stay consistent....with better outcomes and I enjoy it even more!

Pat G 07-06-2010 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
Practice....lots of it. The faster speed I use, the better looking my stitches are.

I finally understand the need for consistant speed but do you adjust the stitch length or is that all done with your speed? I played a little with mine today & I had a heck of a time. My prob. is also where do I stitch? Is that what the stitching patterns are for? Got to mark your fabric? I have watched tutes but it amazes me how consistant they are? Got to practice, practice, & practice more.

watterstide 07-07-2010 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G

Originally Posted by Pam B
Practice....lots of it. The faster speed I use, the better looking my stitches are.

I finally understand the need for consistant speed but do you adjust the stitch length or is that all done with your speed? I played a little with mine today & I had a heck of a time. My prob. is also where do I stitch? Is that what the stitching patterns are for? Got to mark your fabric? I have watched tutes but it amazes me how consistant they are? Got to practice, practice, & practice more.

I took a magic marker and drew
"stippling" sort of like continous puzzle pieces..on a muslin sandwich. and used a contrasting thread and tried to follow the lines.
Breathe,Relax, get in the groove.
I have a friend who puts her head phones on,music to quilt by..lol! and a glass of wine! talk about relaxed!

stitch length is determined by your movement...mine is set to "0".

zz-pd 07-07-2010 06:06 AM

Thank you all for the information. God bless. Penny