Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Folding fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/folding-fabric-t34388.html)

bibiche 01-17-2010 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by gramqlts
I have found that if I wash more than one piece at a time in washer, they ravel and get twisted and tangled up with each other. Any one else have that problem. Any hints as to what I did wrong.

You didn't do anything wrong -- it happens. For small cuts or fabrics I know won't get too ravelly I clip a corner off of each edge. For larger cuts I serge the cut ends to avoid all ravelling. HTH.

sunkistmi 01-17-2010 10:13 PM

Is the cardboard they use at the fabric stores treated? I'm sure they would give away the stuff they throw away but I would want to be sure it would be OK for long term storage.
Wendy

momto4 01-17-2010 10:36 PM

I am not sure. Sry I am of no help on this subject. My fabric is just in big fabric tubs. It started out folded and organized nicely....actually I redid it at the start of the new year, but it is now all messy so usually I have to RE iron before I start a project lol. Oh well. I love the smell of fabric and my spray anyhow LOL.

lavandula girl 01-17-2010 11:07 PM

The sleeve protectors will probably work just fine to protect the fabric from the cardboard. You just don't want the fabric stored up against the cardboard for a long time.

Pam in WV 01-18-2010 04:05 AM

I'm not sure about the twisting, but if you cut a small triangle off of each of the corners of the fabric it will help keep it from raveling a lot. If I have a large piece to wash, to keep it from twistine, I put it in a mesh laundry bag and that keeps it from going crazy in the machine.

QuiltingGrannie 01-18-2010 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pam in WV
I'm not sure about the twisting, but if you cut a small triangle off of each of the corners of the fabric it will help keep it from raveling a lot. If I have a large piece to wash, to keep it from twistine, I put it in a mesh laundry bag and that keeps it from going crazy in the machine.

Thanks for the tips, I was wondering how to avoid all that raveling. When you get a 9" cut of fabric and then wash it and it ravels you get LESS than the 9" piece you need. This should help with that.

Lockeb 01-18-2010 05:43 AM

Personally, when I buy anything that is 3 yards or bigger I roll it on the cardboard cores - like in the quilt shops....I like to see my fabrics on display...small pieces like FQ's, and misc. cuts go in a cupboards or containers....
I just moved out of my house in October and so I lost my sewing room - it's not like this now...the larger pieces are all hidden in a closet - and the smaller pieces and FQ's are all in plastic bins.....I'm in a small appartment - and sharing - til I figure out where I'll go next...so I needed to adjust to the new space..but, when I get my sewing room back - I'll definitely have my shelves for my larger pieces/rolls...I love it....
I've never had a problem with cardboard, etc. - none of my fabrics ever got ruined......

watterstide 01-18-2010 06:18 AM

I am using the cardboard..you get the cardboard bolts for free from Joanns just ask for them..they are glad to get rid of them..i figure if all fabric is on cardboard bolts in all fabric shops, mine will be fine. it was not in my budget to buy the other stuff either..
i got my trusty ruler out, and used a box cutter..got 4 out of each..

shaverg 01-18-2010 06:58 AM

I just fold mine with my 6x14" ruler and it looks like it is folded over cardboard and is beautiful. I fold selvage to selvage and then fold in half again, which makes it about 11" wide and some people fold that over again. I leave it 11".

SNUGQUILT 01-19-2010 07:46 AM

On one of my travels to Paducah.....I went to the Eleanor Burns 'tent' sale. They were emptying bolts of fabric so fast, and tossing the cardboard 'sleeves'. I asked if I could have some...they let me...my boyfriend cut them in half, and I used them! They worked great! Maybe you could ask a local quilt store if they throw their empty's out?