Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Folding, folding, folding fabric... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/folding-folding-folding-fabric-t214898.html)

Rose_P 02-27-2013 08:24 PM

My sorting is pretty typical from what others are describing. I just wanted to say that I'm amazed at how readable your typing in spite of all those problems. You may be able to Google instructions for how to clean the type of keyboard you have. Some have keys that can be pried out and popped back in (while the devise is off and unplugged, of course). Especially if the computer is near your sewing area, there's all kinds of stuff that can get in there and cause problems. I recently saw an idea - don't remember where. You can use masking tape to cover your keyboard with thin clear vinyl, a piece cut from a plastic bag or parchment paper. Be careful not to cover any air vents and have it loose enough so that the keys move as usual. Haven't tried it yet, but it might help to prevent problems.

quiltingfan 02-28-2013 05:05 AM

Ok My problem is the left overs. What do I do about those? I have a whole pile in the living room and I can't decide what to do with them. My thought was to cut as big of squares that I can and separate those. But then what? I see why people cut them into 1 1/2 inches. I feel so wasteful. Thank you for posting this I need help also. I keep all mine. ( the little I have) in bens but it was too hard to see what I had and they were all just jumbled together. Thought I would try to cut fat quarters up but don't even know how big those are. Am looking forward to hearing what others have to say.

janny40 02-28-2013 10:27 AM

I saw a good tip for organizing your fabric. It was on youtube.com First fold the fabric depending on how much you have and then take a 24 inch/ 6 inch width ruler, you fold it around the ruler,slip the ruler out, then fold it in the other direction. All the width are about the same and keep the folded part to the front, so the fabric can be seen easily (she said the pretty folded side) I put like fabric colors together or if it is a project, keep them together. I also put a big rubber band around it to keep them together. Rubber bands are cheap. It ended up looking pretty neat. I thought it was a good tip.

nanquilt 02-28-2013 12:22 PM

Just organize your fabrics by how you might use them. Collections should stay together, holiday fabrics (by each holiday) should stay together, batiks, colors, and, by all means, keep your projects together. Happy quilting.

ube quilting 02-28-2013 04:01 PM

I keep it as simple as possible. My shelves are arranged by the spectrum method.
I don't bother to go from lights to darks because I can see that easy enough.

From left to right on my shelf I start with stacks: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, red violet. Everything fits into this simple stack method.

I keep panels, baby, novelty and specials in seperate stacks.

fat quarters are in an under the bed tote (but not under the bed). It is shallow so fabric doesn't get piled up.

Scraps are in clear, labled shoe boxes in sizes. For me a scrap is anything smaller than a fat quarter.

Any projects that have fabric picked and ready to go are stored in small washbaskets that stack on top of each other and have a copy of the pattern with it.

I am fortunate to have enough shelves to make my method work and it is not really a lot of space to work in, just enough.
peace

sjbart 03-01-2013 09:09 PM

I am fortunate enough to wear glasses. When I am sorting fabrics [in bins, following the color wheel] I take my glasses off and since then I cannot see the print, I can tell what color it "reads"! Besides the "color wheel bins" of smaller pieces, I also separate out 1 yd.or longer, and also Christmas [which goes in its own covered box].