Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   folds in quilt after I got it back from LAQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/folds-quilt-after-i-got-back-laq-t195581.html)

cmilton 07-24-2012 07:16 AM

folds in quilt after I got it back from LAQ

I received the quilt back with three folds in the borders LAQ said she did the best she could but borders were wavy. Never happened to me before. What can I do to hide them?

QuiltE 07-24-2012 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by cmilton (Post 5390179)
I received the quilt back with three folds in the borders LAQ said she did the best she could but borders were wavy. Never happened to me before. What can I do to hide them?

It probably never happened before, as you had your quilt flatter, and not so wavy.

Another time ... get it flat before sending it to the quilter. Yes, it may mean that you need to take your borders off and re-do them, though wouldn't it be worth it?

The LAQ cannot remove problems that are there before she gets it.

Jingle 07-24-2012 08:58 AM

Just the way I put borders on and works everytime. Measure quilt through the center. I lay my border strip and lightly smooth it out, mark and cut to that length, lay ontop of the other piece, lightly smooth, cut same size. Pin the border strips and quilt edge into thirds, sew on both pieces. Repeat for the other two sides. I've never had wavy borders. Good luck.

Bobbielinks 07-24-2012 09:01 AM

Can you use matching thread and slip stitch the folds down?

kathy 07-24-2012 09:03 AM

it is SO impoetant to measure and cut your borders correctly, you may not notice the waves when you get them on a frame for quilting theres no way to avoid puckers if they're too long.
after you wash the quilt it's doubtful that they'll be noticed.
my ex-father in law used to say "bought learning is the best learning!" and I've bought myself plenty!

TrenbeathRanch 07-24-2012 09:39 AM

You might be able to find, or fabricate, an appropriate piece to applique over the crease.

quiltyfeelings 07-24-2012 09:51 AM

Trust me...there is nothing a long armer doesn't try to get the waves out! As a long armer, I've had to quilt creases into a quilt before. I generally try to do it close to a seam if at all possible. Usually, it's the same customer that brings me wavy quilts. She is a friend and not that exact of a piecer. I just do the best I can, but can't seem to make her realize that her haphazardness is what results in folds in her borders.

annthreecats 07-24-2012 09:53 AM

I have never used a LAQ, but wouldn't it have been better if she had communicated with her customer before she quilted it and let her customer know there was a problem with the borders?

I think she should have told you about the wavy borders before she quilted the wavy borders.

QuiltE 07-24-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats (Post 5390618)
I have never used a LAQ, but wouldn't it have been better if she had communicated with her customer before she quilted it and let her customer know there was a problem with the borders?

I think she should have told you about the wavy borders before she quilted the wavy borders.

And maybe she has communicated ... and no heed was taken.

jme 07-24-2012 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks (Post 5390471)
Can you use matching thread and slip stitch the folds down?

I've done this before and it works pretty well.