Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Forced organization of stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/forced-organization-stash-t188504.html)

faykilgore 05-09-2012 11:09 AM

Forced organization of stash

My DD moved to Texas last week and took her grandmother's furniture with her (with my permission). Unfortunately, a lot of my stash was in the chest of drawers. I emptied the drawers into large totes so she could take the chest. Now as I prepare to reload the material into a totally different piece of furniture I'm going to have to reorganize how I have it stored. One thing is crystal clear. I should stay out of quilting stores except for thread! I will be searching the scrappy quilt thread on this board for ideas!

It is therapeutic to go back through the remnants of quilts past and remember the recipients and the unique challenges each quilt presented.

elizajo 05-09-2012 11:29 AM

Instead of folding all of your fabric, maybe you can develop a plan to cut as you go and organize the pieces into new containers with labels.

Lori S 05-09-2012 12:09 PM

I found out that I like making scrappies just as much as a "planned" quilt. I hope you find that to be true for you!

donac 05-09-2012 01:25 PM

I am in the process of cutting my stash into strips. Pick out sizes that you think you are going to use and cut strips of them. I am working on 2 1/2 4 1/2 5 1/2 and 6 1/2. I have one box for each set. I do like to make squares using 2 1/2 squares and I am thinking about doing some rail fence and some log cabin with them.

Good luck

nhweaver 05-09-2012 01:29 PM

I can sympathize with you. I don't know if cutting fabric and putting "kits" together will help. Maybe match colors in drawers, or styles. I am trying so hard to stay out of fabric stores and thrift stores as money and space is tight. we are heading to New England later this month, I am stopping at Marden's in Maine, so all my "stash cash" is going with me to spend there.

Jingle 05-09-2012 01:31 PM

Cutting the fabric into strips is a very good idea, different size squares may be also. Just don't forget to save some yardage for borders.

mucky 05-09-2012 02:01 PM

I only strip cut fabrics that are under 1/2 yard. Unless I have less than a width I don't cut squares as one can always cut squares from strips.

jcrow 05-09-2012 02:49 PM

I have not enough room for all my fabric and I don't know what all I have. I can't get organized because I don't have enough room. I really need to empty my sewing room closet and buy shelving and load those up with my fabric. So, I feel for you. I have not enough room or too much fabric. I prefer the first.

mimiof4 05-09-2012 03:00 PM

I wish the organizing fairies would come to visit, I would even feed them. heck I would even pay them.

yngldy 05-09-2012 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by mimiof4 (Post 5205749)
I wish the organizing fairies would come to visit, I would even feed them. heck I would even pay them.

As long as they are there, ask if they do tops also? If so, send them over here!! LOL