Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Forgotten Walking Foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/forgotten-walking-foot-t286198.html)

osewme 02-18-2017 12:42 PM

Forgotten Walking Foot

Just wondering if anyone else does this. I don't keep my walking foot on my machine all the time & don't make very many quilts. When I make a quilt I often forget to put my walking foot on until all of a sudden during my quilting I start getting little puckers in my fabric. Then it's a "duh" moment & I stop & put it on in the middle of the quilting process. Does anyone else have this type of senior moment or am I the only one?

Tartan 02-18-2017 12:52 PM

​I only use my walking foot for quilting but I have forgotten to put the arm over the needle bar before.

mamagrande 02-18-2017 01:24 PM

I use my walking foot to attach bindings and yes sometimes I am struggling and wondering why this is happening and it's because I did not use the walking foot. I also use it when making my x's on squares that are going to be used to make a rag quilt.

Kitsie 02-18-2017 01:58 PM

Mine is on permanently! Luckily I have Pfaff machine with IDT that I can easily switch on or off but I've found no reason to turn it off. That said I piece by machine but mostly quilt by hand.

Snooze2978 02-19-2017 05:21 AM

I had 2 walking feet for my old Designer 1 and never used them. Now that I have a Viking Epic and it came with this walking foot and interchangeable feet I keep it on the machine for most all my sewing. Ordered the decorative foot with the center flange so I can use it with the decorative stitches on the machine. Still use some of the other feet I kept out from the Designer 1 but usually its the walking foot on my machine these days..........unless I'm embroidering.....of course. Don't know why I never used the walking foot in the past but sure kicking myself now for not using it.

Jane Quilter 02-19-2017 05:25 AM

I have one machine i keep the walking foot on, and I made a lable for the machine "walking foot" and stuck it on the machine. I had way too many senior moments too.

Dolphyngyrl 02-19-2017 07:44 AM

I have my dual feed foot on a good portion of the time. I even piece with mine but it is different than the walking foot. I used to keep it on my small machine all the time

romanojg 02-19-2017 08:43 AM

yep, forget mine. I did learn this year when making a top that it helps control the fabric when seaming knit fabric. No puckers

RedGarnet222 02-19-2017 09:04 AM

I use mine to put the binding on every quilt, so it is automatic to me to use it. But, my bernina came with this wonderful foot cabinet that stands near my machine. I use many of the feet all the time. I also use it to match plaids and designs when sewing on those type fabrics.

I also use many of my feet for different tasks, it makes my work and life so much easier.

TexasSunshine 02-19-2017 05:50 PM

I have a Pfaff also with the IDT so I use it engaged on the machine all the time.