Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   formula for correct hourglass block size (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/formula-correct-hourglass-block-size-t91652.html)

AlwaysQuilting 01-18-2011 12:06 PM

I want to make hourglass blocks that are 5.5" (5" finished).
I know to make HSTs you cut your fabric 7/8" larger.
But I seem to remember that if you're making an hourglass you need to cut the fabric even larger?
I'm thinking 1.25" larger. Am I correct?
My brain cells aren't what they used to be and I couldn't find the formula (if there is one) online.
Thanks

kathy 01-18-2011 12:10 PM

yes, you are correct

AlwaysQuilting 01-18-2011 12:39 PM

thanks for the quick reply.
Now I can start cutting!

MadQuilter 01-18-2011 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I know to make HSTs you cut your fabric 7/8" larger.

If you cut them 7/8" larger you have to be extrememly careful with the cutting, sewing, and pressing or your HSTs may be too small. Many of us cut the square 1" larger and trim the HSTs. More work but better results.

Oh, and good luck with your hour glass.

mic-pa 01-18-2011 01:19 PM

I just finished making some this afternoon. I wanted a finished 6" block. So I cut two squares of contrasting fabric 7 1/2 in.l placed them right sides together. Then I drew aline diagonally across the fabric and sewed 1/4 inch on either side. Then I cut it down the middle and ironed it opened. Then I placed the sq. right side together again with oppisite sides facing and drew another line diagonally and sewed again down both sides and cut it iin half. Opened it up, pressed and squared it up to 6 1/2 inches. Perfect hour glass.

AlwaysQuilting 01-18-2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
I just finished making some this afternoon. I wanted a finished 6" block. So I cut two squares of contrasting fabric 7 1/2 in.l placed them right sides together. Then I drew aline diagonally across the fabric and sewed 1/4 inch on either side. Then I cut it down the middle and ironed it opened. Then I placed the sq. right side together again with oppisite sides facing and drew another line diagonally and sewed again down both sides and cut it iin half. Opened it up, pressed and squared it up to 6 1/2 inches. Perfect hour glass.

Thanks for the tute.
This is how I planned on making mine too but I forgot to mention it.
I didn't want to make a bunch of HSTs and then sew them together. Too slow.
I probably will cut the fabric larger than the needed amount also. Just safer that way, isn't it?

Digitabulist 02-21-2017 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa (Post 2297626)

So, if I wanted to make a 12 1/2" hour glass block (finished size 12"), would I cut the two squares at 14" and then follow your directions?

I would like to use alternating hour glass blocks to set a block of the month quilt top.

The next question is....how do I figure out how much yardage I will need? I have a habit of running out of fabric before I am finished since when I actually did the BOM, I had no idea how I was going to set it (another UFO I'm tackling!)

I'd appreciate any input! Thanks, Barb