Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Found a 1957? Fw today, BUT.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/found-1957-fw-today-but-t108155.html)

Shelbie 03-16-2011 04:54 PM

I'd also check the needle. People frequently put them in backwards and then thread them wrongly as well which makes for a very balky machine.

QuiltnCowgirl 03-16-2011 06:11 PM

Featherweights thread right to left. See - it could be something this simple. Other common things: Bobbin inserted wrong. Holding Case in left hand, bobbin thread should turn up & over in counterclockwise direction. Bobbin case inserted wrong. Someone explained this already in an above post.

Hope you go back & give it a second try. Sounds like a really sweet machine!

abc123retired 03-16-2011 07:38 PM

The needle may be in wrong also.

alleyoop1 03-17-2011 03:19 AM

Try a new needle and a different spool of thread. Old thread breaks and a burr in the needle will break thread.

JandJ 03-17-2011 04:24 AM

It sounds like a problem that stems from the bobbin. Take out the bobbin, make sure it is wound correctly, threaded correctly, and inserted into the bobbin case correctly. It has to click when inserted. Also, check that the bobbin winding disk on the right of the machine is not touching the belt. It should only be in this position while winding a bobbin. I find that most sewing machine problems originate with the bobbin.

Daryl 03-17-2011 04:24 AM

If you send me your address I will make a copy of my book and send it to you
Daryl

Yooper32 03-17-2011 04:35 AM

Last thread guide is on the left, you MUST trhead the needle going into the RIGHT side and out the LEFT. I was not only told this verbally, but have an expensive book written all about Featherweights.

A1Lori 03-17-2011 04:37 AM

Usually a new needle will do the trick if everything else is in order!

Holice 03-17-2011 04:39 AM

also check to make sure the bobbin is inserted correctly. there is a little bar at the top of the bobbin ase that has to go into a slot. This happened to me at taking my FW to a class after cleaning etc. Wouldn't sew....embarassing but teacher was able to point out my error.

LindaR 03-17-2011 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
hard as we tried we could not get her to sew...
Motor ran, threaded right, loosened tension, tightened tension, and all it would do is break the thread!

This little beauty is near MINT..all original, no rubs, pin marks, etc, in a mint case with all of the attachments, no book though..price was $325!

I really want her...BUT...with not being sure what is wrong with her, I had to walk away!

check underneath, if the bobbin case (where bobbin fits in) is just rotating round and round the needle plate was put back on wrong...it just will not sew if it is put back on wrong. check the manual, there is a picture on how to rotate under arm to fit in groove of top needle plate...check it out...