Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Found a longarm quilter.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/found-longarm-quilter-t65010.html)

finch 09-16-2010 11:15 AM

I would also love that ladys number!! I will be having 3 that will need to be done and I really need a good bargain. I will watch for her information or you can pm me.I prefer to furnish my own backing and binding if possible.

prairiequeen 09-16-2010 11:48 AM

I do quilting too thats about what I charge including the batting.But not binding.About 80$

Jannie 09-16-2010 03:01 PM

Crashnquilt, if I lived in your neck of the words, I would look you up. That sounds like an awesome deal to have it quilted, squared, & bound. How about moving to CA? (just kidding).
Stefanib, you can send your lady this way also.

QuiltingGrannie 09-16-2010 03:11 PM

Another question(s) - is the quilting done free motion or by computer pattern or other template or pattern being used, and as asked before, who is supplying the batting and backing and how complicated of a design?

candi 09-16-2010 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
Okay, I feel the need to kind of chime in here. I am a longarm quilter. I know the economy is a bit hard right now and watching pennies is the goal of everyone.

I am wanting to take in customer quilts to help my base line income since my disability doesn't go quite as far as the government says it should. Please don't be offended by my questions and my observations.

The quilting for $40 is a nice price. What was included for that price? Did you furnish the batting? Did you furnish the backing? Does this include attaching the binding? Does this include trimming the quilt?

The price list I have created, a full size quilt would cost around $80, BUT when that quilt is returned to the piecer it is DONE. I not only apply the binding, I also wash and dry the quilt. It is ready to be given away or used when my customer receives it back.

I prefer to wash and dry the quilt myself so I can see if there are any problems with the quilting, i.e. stitching coming out, loose threads, and remove any markings I may have done. If I have marked a quilt, and the customer does not launder the quilt correctly those markings may be there for life so I just bypass that possible disaster. I know I can spritz and wipe and the like, but even then all the chemical from the marking may not be gone or deactivated and I prefer to not take chances (mostly because I speak from bad experience)

For my own "piece" of mind I would appreciate answers to my questions so if necessary I can adjust my pricing.

I think you are providing a great service at a great price. I think that price is only unfair to you.

For the record, I am a new quilter, and so far just quilted my own tops. But I'd like to say this, as someone who is new to handwork, I am gaining a huge appreciation for it every day. Economy is tough, but lets remember that many of the LAQ make their income from quilting, they provide beautiful work that completes our tops that we spent a lot of time, effort and money putting together, if we quilter don't appreciate that, who would?

I am not trying to be critical or judgmental here, but I feel that as quilters, we need to show appreciation and support one another, those tops don't just quilt themselves.

That $40 is definitely a great price, but how long does it take her to quilt that top? Is she even meeting minimum wage? Remember she probably still has to pay taxes on that too.

Lori S 09-16-2010 03:26 PM

The prices being discussed are low , In my neck of the woods the cheapest absolute cheapest work is .015 per square inch. That includes nothing .. on occasion maybe thread. Many charge a base set- up charge and everthing else , batting , backing, trimming, etc is an add on service.

littlehud 09-18-2010 09:02 AM

What a great price. I'm glad you found her.

WilliP 09-18-2010 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
The prices being discussed are low , In my neck of the woods the cheapest absolute cheapest work is .015 per square inch. That includes nothing .. on occasion maybe thread. Many charge a base set- up charge and everthing else , batting , backing, trimming, etc is an add on service.

Did you mean $.15 (15cents)? per square inch which is low for this area --I think with thread and batting prices and taxes the price is up a bit from that.

justwannaquilt 09-18-2010 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by WilliP

Originally Posted by Lori S

Did you mean $.15 (15cents)? per square inch which is low for this area --I think with thread and batting prices and taxes the price is up a bit from that.

194.40 for a quilt that is 36" x 36" Are you FRACKING kidding me? 194.40 one yard square. What area do you live? are they using platinum thread?

justwannaquilt 09-18-2010 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
Okay, I feel the need to kind of chime in here. I am a longarm quilter. I know the economy is a bit hard right now and watching pennies is the goal of everyone.

I am wanting to take in customer quilts to help my base line income since my disability doesn't go quite as far as the government says it should. Please don't be offended by my questions and my observations.

The quilting for $40 is a nice price. What was included for that price? Did you furnish the batting? Did you furnish the backing? Does this include attaching the binding? Does this include trimming the quilt?

The price list I have created, a full size quilt would cost around $80, BUT when that quilt is returned to the piecer it is DONE. I not only apply the binding, I also wash and dry the quilt. It is ready to be given away or used when my customer receives it back.

I prefer to wash and dry the quilt myself so I can see if there are any problems with the quilting, i.e. stitching coming out, loose threads, and remove any markings I may have done. If I have marked a quilt, and the customer does not launder the quilt correctly those markings may be there for life so I just bypass that possible disaster. I know I can spritz and wipe and the like, but even then all the chemical from the marking may not be gone or deactivated and I prefer to not take chances (mostly because I speak from bad experience)

For my own "piece" of mind I would appreciate answers to my questions so if necessary I can adjust my pricing.

I completely understand trying to make a little bit of money because SS doesn't cut it. My mom is in the same situation.

What if a person doesn't WANT all those "extra" things done. If I send a quilt to someone to long arm it that is exactly what I want. I want that person to QUILT my top. I will provice batting and backing. When I get the quilt back I will trim and bind to suit ME not my long armer! I will then wash and dry in a fashion that suits MY lifestyle.
I guess I want to be able to say I made this, so and so quilted it but I MADE IT! If I piece the top and the rest is done by someone else that I PAID to do it then how did I do it? I didn't I paid to have it done!