Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Foundation piecing is too hard for me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/foundation-piecing-too-hard-me-t202135.html)

zennia 10-02-2012 06:04 PM

There are some great videos on paper piecing on you tube. I just had to brush up on mine and they really helped.

jemma 10-02-2012 08:26 PM

while learning be prepared to waste some fabric --when the 'penny drops' and you know what you are doing then you can conserve fabric more--it took me a while but has been worth the effort

grammysharon 10-02-2012 09:12 PM

Paper piecing does waste alot of fabric. I guess you just get used to it for the incredible results, perfect points and blocks!!!

saf 10-03-2012 01:05 AM

I hate wasting fabric expecially since I am now on a limited income. When I am doing paper piecing I always print out an extra copy of the block. I cut this into the individual shapes and use these to measure and cut the pieces for sewing onto the pattern paper. Paper piecing gives me lovely sharp points and makes sewing smaller pieces much easier and I don't feel that I am being wasteful.:o

Happy Tails 10-03-2012 03:17 AM

Saf....that sound like an awesome idea!! Thanks for that hint

QM 10-03-2012 03:28 AM

Paper piecing is just one form of foundation piecing. It can be frustrating at first, but gets easier fast. The New York Beauty BOM thread on this site has good ideas for starting.

ArtsyOne 10-03-2012 03:35 AM

Hang in there. I tried for years to figure it out from books and just could not understand. Then a friend of mine came over and showed me step by step and it finally clicked. It clicked so well that I improved on the method that she'd been taught on Quilt University. And like other posters, every time I start a new one I have to re-learn until it clicks again.

sandy l 10-03-2012 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5558024)
You will have beautiful points!!! I can't do a log cabin block or courthouse steps without paper piecing them. Otherwise, they become WONKY log cabin blocks!!!

Same here!

Shelbie 10-03-2012 04:30 AM

You have my sympathy. I just don't "get" paper piecing. I have had a couple of good quilt buddy coaches and even tried Carol Doak's tutorials. When I left a comment on her blog about how hard it was even trying to follow her well laid out steps, I got a personal phone call from Carol offering help. The phone call was great but I still can't paper piece.

Colbaltjars62 10-03-2012 05:29 AM

Jcrow,

I feel your pain, but I do have a suggestion for you. Quiltingnonie (QB member) Is a friend of mine and she is a very good paper piece/ foundation blocker and quilter. I don't know where in Oregon you are, but I bet if you PM'd her, she could help you out.
She has entered some of her quilts in shows and if you see them before sandwiching and quilting you would be amazed at how the back of her quilts look. She is also an Awesome and Talented person and a good friend.
I hope that this helps.
One of your Oregon Neighbors.. :cool: