Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   foundations for string piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/foundations-string-piecing-t264498.html)

sprice 04-26-2015 10:26 AM

foundations for string piecing

I read online (maybe right here) that a Pellon pattern paper was good for string piecing foundations. I tried it and found that it was quite stiff. I finished the quilt and then washed it which helped to make it a bit more cuddly, but I think I will go back to using thin fabric as a foundation. It was very hard to work with the quilt sandwich to machine quilt it. I love using up strips of fabric for string piecing but am not willing to remove paper--even newspaper print is too much for me to work with since my hands are compromised due to arthritis. Any of you have any input on this subject? Thanks.

TexasSunshine 04-26-2015 10:40 AM

I dislike removing paper also, I use the thinnest muslin I have. I find it does not add much extra bulk when quilting on the LA.

luvspaper 04-26-2015 10:47 AM

When you use paper, you need to set your stitch length very short (of course it means if you make a mistake it is very hard to take out those teensy stitches). That will help the paper tear out later easier.

That said, I got to the point on my string X quilt that I didn't use any backing at all. I did starch as I pressed though. And then trimmed and it all seemed to work out well

joeyoz 04-26-2015 01:17 PM

I have a friend doing a string quilt. Instead of a square she is doing a rectangle and is using pages out of an old phone book.

ontheriver 04-26-2015 03:04 PM

Sometimes I use paper like phone books or adding machine tape with real small stitches, sometimes I use muslin or old cut up sheets light in color, sometimes just sew and starch. It depends on what I have handy.

tessagin 04-26-2015 06:41 PM

You can purchase cheap tissue paper for gift bags. The sizes are 20x30". You can cut them to the size you want depending on size block you're going to make. I have phone books also and also use unscented dryer sheets previously used. I use the Seventh Generation that come in narrow strips (2 1/2"). They are already perforated but can still use them. One strip will do 2 large loads sometimes 3. They are worth the money. If first using on a small load tear the strip in half.

Judith1005 04-26-2015 07:02 PM

I'm in the process of making a string quilt now. And, I'm using the cheapest muslin I could buy for the foundation. (1.99 a yd at JoAnn Fabrics. ) I too do not want to be bothered with removing paper. I also feel like it will add stability to any bias edges. But, to each his own. Whatever fits your budget. (I do have a ton of old phone books I could use if I need to.)

janceejan 04-26-2015 07:21 PM

I had bed skirts from GW, took apart and used the section that went under the mattress. Caution, be careful with a hot iron, it will melt.

Cari-in-Oly 04-26-2015 09:10 PM

I use the cheap tissue paper for gift wrapping. You don't have to remove it, it will dissolve and be completely gone when the quilt is washed.

Cari

Onebyone 04-27-2015 04:13 AM

I use the leave in paper that turns to thin soft poly when washed. There are several brands. Ricky Tims Stable Stuff is sold in packages of 50 sheets for $20 and Sharon Schamber Foundation paper $5 a yard. I usually find a sale on Stable Stuff and stock up. I don't like removing paper. It seems a waste of time to me and messy.