Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Framing an Applique Quilted Piece (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/framing-applique-quilted-piece-t294979.html)

yolajean 02-21-2018 06:23 AM

Framing an Applique Quilted Piece

I'm flying to Denver and my nephew and his wife have graciously invited me to stay with them.

I made them a small applique piece of Irises, which I would like to frame and give them as a thank you gift.

Any information to help me through the framing process will be greatly appreciated. I did just read not to let it come in contact with glass and, of course, use acid free pieces to stabilize the piece.

I do not have a lot of time as I must fly out on March 3rd. Thank you for your usual great advice and help whenever asked. Yolanda

yolajean 02-21-2018 06:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to add photo of quilted piece. We lost my sister (their mother) last May. She grew the most beautiful irises. All colors all kinds so this piece will be meaningful to them. (Not sure why it posted sideways. It is saved straight! Sorry about that!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589497[/ATTACH]

annievee 02-21-2018 07:41 AM

Very nice--will follow this thread as I do not know how to do this.

lzeider 02-21-2018 07:45 AM

Framing a Small Quilt

Need some ideas on framing a small quilt I made. It will be around 12" x 12".

Tiggersmom 02-21-2018 09:09 AM

Hobby Lobby, Joanns, and Michaels all have framing supplies with helpers in their stores.

RJLinkletter 02-21-2018 11:23 AM

Never framed quilting before but have framed lots of cross stitch and there are 2 options I have used with great success. Without glass - layer thick acid free board with some wadding, wrap cross stitch round it and lace it at the back to pull the edges tight. This then protrudes through the frame nicely.

With glass - similar technique but use less wadding (if any) an acid feee mount around the piece so that the glass does not touch the embroidery. Not sure if this would work for quilting but cant see which not

Boston1954 02-21-2018 11:25 AM

When I did cross stitch, it was told to me, not to let the glass touch the piece. It might have a moisture problem later on. You may ask them to put a mat around it to push that back a bit.

Tartan 02-21-2018 11:40 AM

Are you going to quilt it or just stretch it? I think I would look for a nice shadow box frame at Walmart. I don't know if they are acid free but you could cut a fabric mat to go between it and the frame if not. It would also give a little room for some scrap book trinkets like a watering can or tiny gardening tools in one corner.

yolajean 02-21-2018 02:37 PM

Thank you, everyone! So appreciate your help. We live out in the country. Just did a run to a Ben Franklin. Yes! Ben Franklin. Very small and his business also has a Radio Shack there too so supplies are few. However, I did find a frame. Will post if I can get this to look right. Thanks again.

applique 02-21-2018 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just did similar but over stretched canvas.