Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FrankenPfaff breaking thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frankenpfaff-breaking-thread-t282468.html)

Onebyone 09-25-2016 09:34 AM

I tossed all the rayon thread I had. I won't let it in the house. LOL

CatD 09-25-2016 10:55 AM

Just wound a couple bobbins of poly thread - also figured out the issue I'd been having getting that tension right. Turns out you have to go through the bobbin winder tension disk/guide. Duh. (I'm simultaneously thrilled at myself for figuring out the problem - and mortified that it took me so long. Ah, the joys of sewing without a manual...)

Quiltingcandy, I do have the thread in a stand behind the machine - and the very, very nice lady I bought it from did stress that I should always use cross-wound thread for it. Something about how it twists (or doesn't) coming off the spool? It made sense when she explained it.

Homespun 09-26-2016 03:38 AM

Does your machine require the bobbin case to be put in only with the thread going to the back? I had a lot of breakage problems including breaking needles until I discovered that.

Whoops, just saw you figured it out!!!

greaterexp 09-26-2016 05:52 AM

I love your quilting machine set up! How ingenious!

institches33 09-26-2016 05:55 AM

At a quilting class I was told to piece with 60 wt. thread, quilt with 50 wt. and embroider with 40 wt.

Seems to work well.

CanoePam 09-26-2016 08:20 AM

Rayon is a hard thread to,work with. It is weak to begin with, and when you add in the age I am betting that is your problem. Buy a quality thread like Superior or Aurifil. You can use a 60 weight thread in the bobbin (I like Superior's bobbin thread but there are others). It sounds like a fabulous machine!

Pam

soccertxi 09-26-2016 01:50 PM

Don't beat yourself up because you don't know about tension/thread/ quilting on a track frame! Just think of each new issue solved as a learning experience. I had a new system, but no classes. There were MANY tears...but I kept going. Now (diff system ...) I am happier with my quilting. It was a journey.

Farm Quilter 09-26-2016 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CatD (Post 7661070)
OK, tried a different thread and it seemed to work fine. (Although I left the rayon in the bobbin. Wonder why it's fine there but breaks in the upper?)

The top thread goes through the needle about 70 times - back and forth - before it gets laid down as a stitch, so that is why you can use more fragile thread in the bobbin then on the top...friction will wear it to breaking point unless you have a strong thread. My favorite threads are all Superior Threads - King Tut (cotton), SoFine (poly) and for the bobbin I love BottomLine. We pay a ton for a longarm, fabric, batting...don't skimp on cheap thread for quilting, it just doesn't pay off! Specialty threads like Rayon have their place, but they are too fragile for use in a longarm. Without a bobbin in or thread in a needle, run your machine at the slowest speed and just watch how fast the bobbin race goes around and it takes 2 complete revolutions of the bobbin race to make a single stitch...and it is the upper thread that is going around and around!

newbee3 09-28-2016 08:35 AM

rayon thread is not good for what you are doing

cashs_mom 09-28-2016 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7661134)
Also, I am wondering if you have the top thread sitting vertical or horizontal? Or do you have it on a thread stand behind your machine? Superior Threads has a video and explanation why you use one direction over the other. Depending of the type of thread on the spool determines the way it should be on the machine. I use rayon for my embroidery machine and it has to be on the horizontal thread holder.

Good point, Candy. I bought a vertical thread post for my machine years ago because sliver thread needs to come off a vertical spool to not break. I've found that a lot of thread does better on a vertical spool.

I also wonder about quilting a quilt with rayon. I use it often to quilt garments because I like the look, but my garments don't get washed at all and don't get subjected to much real use.