Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fray Check (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fray-check-t212225.html)

chickadeee55 01-28-2013 03:30 AM

Fray Check

Can someone tell me how to use this? The different options.

Can I use it after I have already appliqued something and discover the fabric is fraying even after the applique stitch is used on it.

Thanks

ckcowl 01-28-2013 03:39 AM

fray check is often used by needle pointer's and cross stitchers to keep the edges of their (canvas) from fraying- it drys hard- leaves a stiff edge- if you plan to use it with an applique i would definitly wait until after stitching-since it would be very difficult to stitch through. just remember you would then have a hard edge around your applique. what kind of applique are you doing? raw edge applique (generally) is done with a fusable on the back- which (help) keep the fraying from happening- turn under applique cutting a wider turn under edge will help keep fraying from happening. what (applique stitch) are you using? a blanket stitch? a small zigzag? a satin stitch? you may want to increase the width of the stitch & lessen the length- so the stitch takes a larger bite of the applique- but the stitch is closer together. if using fray check- definitly after the stitching is done...pictures would help with advice on how to (overcome) the problem in the future.

luana 01-28-2013 05:22 AM

ckcowl, you wrote such a helpful response. I did not write the original post, but I still picked pointer from your response. That's what I like about this board. Everyone is so generous, taking time to help others.

Prism99 01-28-2013 11:12 AM

Fray Block does the same thing, except it is much softer.

Patti25314 01-28-2013 11:15 AM

I use Fray Check to seal ending points when serging. I only use a drop so it isn't too clumpy.

nativetexan 01-28-2013 11:17 AM

yes, be sure to use the "softer" one on the top of your work. fray check is good for the back when necessary. try a bit and see what we mean.

irishrose 01-28-2013 11:17 AM

Try it on a scrap first. I remember Fray Check slightly discoloring the fabric when I was doing apparel sewing, but I haven't used it in a long time.

chickadeee55 01-28-2013 01:28 PM

Thank you for your very informative reply. Unfortunlately I am doing applique with machine embroidery designs.

I may have to look into the Fray Block and see if that would better help me.

I had no idea the fabric edges would fray as much as they are I am using a good quality fabric. But thank you for the tips.

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5819506)
fray check is often used by needle pointer's and cross stitchers to keep the edges of their (canvas) from fraying- it drys hard- leaves a stiff edge- if you plan to use it with an applique i would definitly wait until after stitching-since it would be very difficult to stitch through. just remember you would then have a hard edge around your applique. what kind of applique are you doing? raw edge applique (generally) is done with a fusable on the back- which (help) keep the fraying from happening- turn under applique cutting a wider turn under edge will help keep fraying from happening. what (applique stitch) are you using? a blanket stitch? a small zigzag? a satin stitch? you may want to increase the width of the stitch & lessen the length- so the stitch takes a larger bite of the applique- but the stitch is closer together. if using fray check- definitly after the stitching is done...pictures would help with advice on how to (overcome) the problem in the future.

KalamaQuilts 01-28-2013 02:56 PM

I use clear nail polish, but all of the three will show like a wet spot on the repair. The good news is on a full quilt no one would ever notice, and you won't be able to find it either.