Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is fraying a concern on the back of quilt tops? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fraying-concern-back-quilt-tops-t308033.html)

staceybard 11-15-2019 02:55 PM

Is fraying a concern on the back of quilt tops?

I have a quilt top ready for the long armer. I'm concerned about the amount of fraying on the back of my quilt top. I used a Moda layer cake a CDKona fabric for sashing. Both are fraying , but especially the Kona. Is this a concern? Should I use fray check. And should quality cotton fray like this?

janiebakes 11-15-2019 03:10 PM

I made a quilt recently with LQS fabric and was surprised to see it fraying on the back. To be safe I machine overcast each seam. Was a real pain but I though better safe than sorry. One of the fabrics was Wave Texture from Benartex, I would have to look up the others.

Tartan 11-15-2019 03:15 PM

I would not use fray check as it dries hard and could cause problems for the longarmer. Trim what you can being careful not to pull any threads and making the fraying worse. I wrap some masking tape sticky side out, on my one hand to collect trimmed threads as I go.

quiltingshorttimer 11-15-2019 06:29 PM

as a longarmer, the only problem I could see is if the fray threads are dark and are seen under a light(white) solid. Otherwise, if your seems are all closed and 1/4" allowance, it shouldn't be a problem. Your LA will quickly attach the top to the back/bat and it won't be shifting much while quilting. I won't go in and trim up threads on the back unless charging extra, so if you have a dark fray thread under white sashing for instance, it would probably be left as is and may show. Definitely don't use fray check or anything else that may gum up the needle, please!

charlottequilts 11-15-2019 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8327528)
I would not use fray check as it dries hard and could cause problems for the longarmer. Trim what you can being careful not to pull any threads and making the fraying worse. I wrap some masking tape sticky side out, on my one hand to collect trimmed threads as I go.

Would the FraySoft be better? Of course, over a large area, it could be pretty irritating, but for a few spots it seems softer.

hugs,
charlotte

staceybard 11-16-2019 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8327528)

Great idea! Thank you!

staceybard 11-16-2019 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 8327586)
as a longarmer, the only problem I could see is if the fray threads are dark and are seen under a light(white) solid. Otherwise, if your seems are all closed and 1/4" allowance, it shouldn't be a problem. Your LA will quickly attach the top to the back/bat and it won't be shifting much while quilting. I won't go in and trim up threads on the back unless charging extra, so if you have a dark fray thread under white sashing for instance, it would probably be left as is and may show. Definitely don't use fray check or anything else that may gum up the needle, please!

I'm glad I asked before I used fray check! Thank you!

Barb in Louisiana 11-16-2019 06:20 AM

I had the fraying happen with one fabric in a quilt. I ended up sewing a second wavy seam within the seam allowance to keep the blocks from pulling apart while I was trying to get them together and then I trimmed off longer threads. And that's why I love sewing with batiks. The tighter thread count is wonderful. Almost no fraying ever.

maviskw 11-16-2019 06:33 AM

I would think that this is one of the reasons to press to the dark. Then any stray threads would be less likely to show. If the light fabric is not too sheer, it won't matter either way.
Once the top is attached to the batt and back, there will be no more fraying. The quilting will hold everything in place.

Doggramma 11-16-2019 06:51 AM

When I’ve used fraying fabric, I reinforce the seam(s) with a 2nd row of stitching. It’s a pain, but maybe do the worse ones.