Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fraying Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fraying-fabric-t282321.html)

Mitch's mom 09-19-2016 03:27 PM

Fraying Fabric

Is it my imagination or do solids - no matter the brand - fray more than prints? I think the ink must hold the fibers of printed fabrics together because any solid I have used frays like crazy, no matter how careful I am with cutting and handling it after it has been cut.

Jan in VA 09-19-2016 07:15 PM

You know, I've seen the same thing, and been frustrated by it. But, out of the blue, I read something yesterday --- do you think I can remember where?! --- that said washed fabrics fray less than unwashed fabrics. Hmmm.

I have many fabrics from my first years of collecting that were all washed, until I finally gave up that exhaustive effort. And most of them are not fraying! Wow, who'd have thought? I may bite the bullet and wash all my solids before I move to where i can't have a washer/dryer in my apartment!

Jan in VA

Mariposa 09-19-2016 07:39 PM

I have found that black solids are the worst! They fray badly, and some just disintegrate when used as small pieces.

quilting cat 09-19-2016 08:38 PM

Be extra careful buying solids, to be sure you are getting 100% cotton, high quality. One former favorite shop often had blend solids "on sale". Brands vary, too, but I think perhaps the dye affects the fibers more than surface ink.

bearisgray 09-19-2016 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa (Post 7656947)
I have found that black solids are the worst! They fray badly, and some just disintegrate when used as small pieces.

I had a black that literally shredded in the wash - after I tried to get it to stop bleeding. It seemed odd to me - because I also purchased two bolts of blue of the same brand that behaved nicely.

ghostrider 09-20-2016 05:16 AM

Many of the best solids - Kona and Moda Bella for example - are cotton broadcloths and have fewer threads per inch than quilting cottons (60 vs 75). That's why they are more prone to fraying.

Prewashing not only decreases the fraying, it softens the hand.

rj.neihart 09-21-2016 03:44 AM

I don't see a difference between solids or prints in fraying. Personally, I wash all fabric BEFORE ever using it - who knows what was on that fabric before I made the purchase - there are crawling diseases out there - not to mention hands not being washed when touching fabric - after it is all washed, I then iron it and place it where it will be used. I guess each of us have our own way of handling fabric, I will say my quilts do not fray and they smell lovely while working with the fabric.

tessagin 09-21-2016 03:51 AM

Finally someone who prewashes for the same reasons. I have seen with my own eyes people who go into the fabric store and have wiped the perspiration from themselves with fabric still on a bolt. I also can't tolerate the odor that comes from the fabric.

Originally Posted by rj.neihart (Post 7657786)
I don't see a difference between solids or prints in fraying. Personally, I wash all fabric BEFORE ever using it - who knows what was on that fabric before I made the purchase - there are crawling diseases out there - not to mention hands not being washed when touching fabric - after it is all washed, I then iron it and place it where it will be used. I guess each of us have our own way of handling fabric, I will say my quilts do not fray and they smell lovely while working with the fabric.

cashs_mom 09-21-2016 05:20 AM

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that but I use very few solids. I'm going to notice.

It's also interesting that washed fabric frays less. I may have to prewash more.

toverly 09-21-2016 05:37 AM

I try to stick to Northcott solids, they seem to fray less to me. Occasionally I purchase Moda for the color. I am going to try prewashing it. Thanks for the suggestion, it will be worth trying.