Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Free motion borders before or after (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-motion-borders-before-after-t207009.html)

hisgrace1 11-26-2012 03:09 PM

Free motion borders before or after

Oh My I think I have bit off more than I can chew....I made a attempt to free motion a quilt for the first time..it is just simple, I free motioned on the sashing and part of the blocks...how much free motion do you do....and do I put the binding on first before I do the borders?

PaperPrincess 11-26-2012 03:16 PM

Oh, my, you probably should have practiced on some scrap sandwiches before starting on a 'real' quilt. It's an acquired skill. As far as 'how much free motion' it's like any quilting question: read your batting package. That will tell you how far apart your quilting can be and still secure the layers. As far as the binding is concerned, most people will bind after. sometimes quilting will distort the quilt and you may need to square it up a bit.
I'm sure that it will be lovely. Post a picture when you're done.

hisgrace1 11-26-2012 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did practice some...but then got impatient and went for it....as for the batting I don't have the package...[ATTACH=CONFIG]378705[/ATTACH]

TeresaS 11-26-2012 04:06 PM

Its a great start!

Becky Crafts 11-26-2012 04:16 PM

Not a bad start at all! Don't think I could do any better at this point!! About all I can do freehand is meander. I think of puzzle pieces and try to replicate. It does take patience and finding your own speed on the sewing machine, but it won't take long & your muscle memory will take over. Don't give up & keep practicing!!

Scraplady 11-26-2012 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by hisgrace1 (Post 5681545)
Oh My I think I have bit off more than I can chew....I made a attempt to free motion a quilt for the first time..it is just simple, I free motioned on the sashing and part of the blocks...how much free motion do you do....and do I put the binding on first before I do the borders?

Do you mean quilt the borders before adding the binding? Typically the binding is the LAST thing to be done, but I have sometimes added a BIT of quilting after the binding went on, just because it seemed like more was needed. The reason to do the binding last is that the quilting will often pull on the layers of the quilt sandwich at different rates. If the binding is already sewn in place, the quilting may cause distortion. If the quilting is done first, you can trim it and even the edges all up before putting the binding on.

EllieGirl 11-26-2012 06:32 PM

I'm finishing a quilt now that I started in April. In my haste I put the binding on before FMQ but it's turning out fine. This is my second FMQ!

sewingsuz 11-26-2012 06:38 PM

You are doing real good. I have not done a quilt yet!!! I am still practicing. I am real scared to try. Keep going!!!! Yea!!!

Jingle 11-26-2012 07:35 PM

You are off to a very good start, I do a large stipple and just do as I like. I love doing it and I love the way it looks.

Ioftheneedle 11-26-2012 08:01 PM

I'm impressed. I have not done any FMQ yet, just outline stitch in the ditch.