Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Free Motion or Computer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-motion-computer-t158537.html)

SharonTheriault 10-07-2011 08:24 AM

I, too, like both. It just depends on the quilt. I don't like dense quilting and don't have to have it with either method. Designs can be made bigger to lessen the density of the quilting with the computer. But I also like it when the long armer does it free motion.

caspharm 10-07-2011 11:35 AM

I prefer the non-computerized and use pantos as well as FM.

Olivia's Grammy 10-07-2011 01:42 PM

I, too, prefer the free motion. I don't like dense quilting. I want the piecing to show not the quilting. I've tried panto and couldn't seem to get the hang of it. Recently I've been using groovy boards and I really love them.

mucky 10-07-2011 02:20 PM

I don't think it matters. Just pick the one that does the best work.

gramquilter2 10-07-2011 02:37 PM

I think it depends on the design you want on the quilt.

margecam52 10-07-2011 03:17 PM

Tammy, I think it has more to do with how the designs are made. It's like when you use an embroidery software that just takes a clipart and makes it an embroidery design...you don't get a true digitized design...you rarely get a solid underlay, etc. in embroidery traced designs.

I can take software, pull in a design (coloring book page even) & tell the software to make it a quilt design..it does it, but it will decide on the path to take itself...sometimes going over a line 4 or 5 times.

It then takes hours to delete the extra lines and get the path straight. I prefer to do the lines myself. I draw out the design...scan it into my computer...and then pull it up as an image in the software...I then follow the lines to do the design, rarely do I have to go over a line more than once.
Feathers are the same as when you freehand them...you HAVE to go over the lines...sometimes more than once.

[quote=Is there not some kind of adjustment that can be put in when you load the computer quilting to be done, that would lesson the times it back tracks? So to speak?
Tammy[/quote]

margecam52 10-07-2011 03:26 PM

Also, you can do the same designs on the computerized machines that you do using a panto or groovy boards. It just depends on the design your quilter decides to use.

nancylee 10-07-2011 04:57 PM

I am new to the quilting world, and when I found out quilting was done by computers, I was really surprised. Then I was twice as shocked to find out that quilts that are FMQ'd compete with quilts that are computer quilted? Why is that? It seems as thought they are apples and oranges, almost like it is not fair to the person?

Can anyone explain why this is? Thank you for information,
Nancy

Shelley 10-07-2011 06:09 PM

Nancylee,

In quilting competitions where the quilting is the focus of the judging, hand guided and computer guided quilts are in separate categories. this includes shows like MQX, Innovations, MQS, QWM...

In other quilt shows, usually the categories are separated by one person (one person pieces and quilt and quilts it) or two people (quilter is hired).

nancylee 10-07-2011 06:38 PM

Hi Shelley,
Thank you for clearing that up!! That makes more sense to me. I have to get to a quilt show soon!!
Nancy