Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Free Motion Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-motion-quilting-t15002.html)

GailG 01-06-2009 09:00 AM

Thanks. That's interesting. I would have thought that there would have been a lot of weight to manage under the machine. Perhaps I'll give it a try on one of my UFOs.

shellyp 01-06-2009 09:29 AM

Aggi it looks terrific! Your a natual!!! :wink:

quiltsRfun 01-06-2009 11:24 AM

Are you using the paper on top of the quilt instead of marking the design? I need to get some of this and try it. Your quilting is fantastic. Gives me hope that I can master it.

mimisharon 01-06-2009 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Dumb question of the day:
:roll:
How do you drop the feed dogs?
My Singer has a walking foot, and I want to try machine quilting, but can't figure out how ...

Help :!: :oops:

There are NO dumb questions only people that are afraid to ask. The folks here are the most helpful and good teaching bunch I've ever been around!

I have a Singer Ingenuity and my feed dog switch is on the back of the arm. I was free motion quilting today on the baby quilts, it's vverrryyy much easier than I feared. :-) I stayed away from trying it for way to long.

Don't forget, if you have one of the older model sewing machines you CAN cut an index card and tape it down over the feed dogs on each side. I'd use painters tape in several layers rather than get sticky stuff all over the throat plate. :?

Aggi, that quilt is beautiful and your work is fabulous!!
Hugs,
Sharon

quilterj 01-06-2009 05:39 PM

Well this is one thing that I still need to accomplish myself this year. OOPS I think I said that last year also. Well lets see I know I need to get it on my list this year!!!!!!!!

peel 01-10-2009 09:06 AM

hi, first time i'm message board so hope i do it right and Aggi gets this. Saw your free motion and I think it's great, and for first try, amazing. I do some free motion - meander, and around images on a panel, I also took lessons on a long arm and a quilt shop in my area rents time on their long arm (had to have taken lessons first). I did that an quilted a queeen size quilt for my sister, I was thrilled with it. Because I'm new to whole technique when I used long arm I then quilted border on my home machine. I'm getting ready to free motion designs on blank block of a queen size Irish Chain. Because I'm a little concerned about the size and getting it through the 7 1/2 throat of my Viking I'm quilting in sections (a Marti Michell technique) will quilt entire center and then add borders and quilt them. I was really interested that for your first free motion experience you used pattern that you applied to the quilt and then quilted it. That's what I'm going to do. Not sure how I'll get pattern onto quilt yet, but I'm working on it.
thanks for listening, and if you have any suggestions i'm all ears.

thanks peel

Jim's Gem 01-10-2009 10:26 AM

Peel, welcome to the board from Southern California. We have a section called "Introduce Yourself" Go on there and introduce yourself to everyone. Glad to have you on board!

peel 01-10-2009 10:32 AM

do i call you Jim's Gem or Gayle,
in any case thanks for the welcome.
don't see "introduce yourself", where is it

peel

sewin'sam 01-10-2009 10:54 AM

Good job for a beginner! I keep trying it & love it, I hate to see it end. Usually, by the time I get to the end, I'm doing pretty well. My biggest problem is that the quilt comes 'alive' on the table! :evil: It has a mind of it's own! I'm great on a 'practice piece' but when I get a BIG quilt....look out! Even though I 'package'it! It just takes lots of practice, so don't give up. I think I will do a practice once a week even if I'm not working an a quilt! :?

kd124 01-11-2009 12:17 AM

Aggi-- you're doing a great job in your quilting. Love your quilt; it is beautiful.

sewin'sam--I did a doll quilt for a great niece for Christmas and had the same problem. I did great on a practice and thought I can do this. I did all the designs I would use on my practice Ugh--I had a heck of a time with the actual quilt. My sis has a machine on a frame that controls the size of the stitch automatically, but it was tied up with big quilts my sis was doing for friends. It was fun though.