Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   free motion quilting with the viking #1+ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-motion-quilting-viking-1-a-t216219.html)

annel 03-12-2013 03:24 PM

free motion quilting with the viking #1+

I am new to the board. Thanks for accepting me. I am trying to learn free motion quilting and live in a rural area where there are no classes. I am spending a fortune on free motion feet with no good results. I bought the viking darning foot for my viking #1+ but am having no success using it. Today the spring thingy that fits over the needle screw popped off and I can't get it back on. Wasn't having any success with it there either. When I finally got a stitch I couldn't stop the quilt from bunching up. I have watched tutorials, followed instructions to not avail. Anyone out there with this machine who can help or should I just give it up? I have been sewing for many years--learned to sew using books--but this has me stumped. I am 80 so investing in a new machine seems to be overkill. Thanks Anne

Holice 03-12-2013 03:31 PM

I am at a sewing/quilting expo in Florida. I will try and remember to go by the Viking Booth and describe your problem and see if they have any suggestions. Is there a number on the foot you are using? That might be helpful. If the foot is faulty the company should replace it.

hopetoquilt 03-12-2013 05:01 PM

Did you drop the feed dogs or cover them? Did you decrease stitch length to zero? Can you try a couple different brands of threads? Are you sure you are using machine quilting thread or all purpose thread, not the hand quilting type? I really like the craftsy classes for learning. I would work on a very small quilt sandwich to practice and get used to it. I also have to dramatically change the tension on my machine when I go to do FMQing. I don't have to change the tension when I use the walking foot

Earleen 03-12-2013 05:40 PM

I did some on my #1+ with the feed dogs down, stitch length at 0 and just stitched that way and it came out ok. I did go and by the foot (jumping) have not used it yet. I would try this and see if you can make it work.

annel 03-13-2013 05:07 AM

The # is 411-73-90-45

I appreciate the help Holice

annel 03-13-2013 05:13 AM

I've done it all LOL. The instructions in the book, tutorials, you name it. When I changed to a polyester thread I got a decent stitch but the quilt just keeps bunching up. I guess I am going to drive 60 miles and take it to the shop for help. I've been sewing most of my life. You'd think I could do this. I taught myself to sew using books but the books are not helping so I'm thinking something must be off with my machine. Thanks everyone for the help.

pandamommy 03-13-2013 06:14 AM

Have you read your machine manual? some of the Vikings there is a setting on the machine in the menu for free motion. On my Sapphire I also had to manually adjust my tension.

soccertxi 03-13-2013 06:14 AM

Dont' get discouraged! Free motion is VERY different from sewing! Its a spatial thing and kind of like playing a musical instrument. You have to match the tempo of the machine with the speed of your hands. maybe speed up your hands a bit. Machine quilting has a higher learning curve..but oh so worth it!~ Did you check out Leah Day?

www.daystyledesigns.com LOTS of great info here for quilting on a DSM. Hang in there!

LTeachergeorge 03-13-2013 07:00 AM

I took a Free Motion quilting class about a month ago at my Viking dealer, using my Sapphire. I have the springy foot and bought a "Sew Slip" mat to help the quilt glide. After the class I wondered why I had not wanted to do my own quilting (on smaller items). Maybe this would help. Also having a large flat area so the weight of the quilt doesn't get hung up. Good luck.

Linda in Missouri

nannyrick 03-13-2013 09:26 AM

Dear Annel, first, welcome to the board. The information here is endless and there is always someone who can answer your questions. I don't have a Viking, so I,m no help there, but PLEASE, do not give up. Hang in there and I,m sure you will find the answer to your problem, SOON. Again, Welcome.