Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Free-Standing Quilt Display at a Craft Show? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-standing-quilt-display-craft-show-t200117.html)

x7lillies 09-10-2012 10:22 AM

Free-Standing Quilt Display at a Craft Show?

Hi everyone,

I think I'll be doing a craft show locally on December 1st, and I was hoping for some advice. My plan is to make many smaller items, like pillow covers, potholders, table runners, coordinating placemats, ornaments, etc. I also plan on making one or two lap-quilts, maybe a crib-sized blanket or two, and I have a queen-sized quilt (90" x 90") to sell. My mother-in-law used to own a quilt shop, and so she still has many display items like small quilt racks, table-top displays, etc., that she's said I can use. I still have no way to display the large quilt in an eye-catching way. I'm not really planning on it selling, since it's expensive, but I was hoping I could use it to bring people to my table from a distance. To do that, I need to have it opened (not folded) and displayed high.

The problem is that I have equal chances of being against a concrete wall and in the middle of a room (no walls!), and since it's not a quilt show, the organizers do not offer anything for hanging. I've heard of people using ladders in a pinch, but I don't have any (we live in a 1-floor apartment). I'm willing to spend maybe $20, but any more than that would not be worth it, I don't think. Also, I drive a Honda Civic 2-door, so it has to be collapsable. My husband does have a roof rack system and a slightly larger sedan (the seats fold down to the trunk in both cars), but seeing as how the show is in December and this is upstate NY, I wouldn't count on the weather being nice (or the slush that'd get kicked up on the way there).

Any ideas? If you've got an idea that gets the quilt high-up, but not completely un-folded, that might work, too. By "high" I just mean that the top of the quilt should be at least 7.5' off the ground.

mrs. fitz 09-10-2012 11:07 AM

One suggestion about a ladder - you mention living in an aparatment. I'm assuming that means other apartments, and some kind of maintenance person on premises every day or someone who comes around often. The building must have a ladder and it's worth asking if you could borrow it for a day. Good luck with the show!

mike'sgirl 09-10-2012 11:14 AM

I suggest that you contact local quilt guilds to see if they have portable quilt racks that you can rent. My old guild in Texas did this and I know another one in Texas did as well. Maybe there is one in your area that would do that for you. Best of luck. Gina

x7lillies 09-10-2012 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl (Post 5504601)
I suggest that you contact local quilt guilds to see if they have portable quilt racks that you can rent. My old guild in Texas did this and I know another one in Texas did as well. Maybe there is one in your area that would do that for you. Best of luck. Gina

Thanks, Gina. That's a great idea! I think there's at least one formalized quilting guild around here, and I'm fairly certain they do quilt shows...I will look into it!

Tartan 09-10-2012 11:33 AM

Do you have a folding room screen you can use? How about folding closet doors that you could repurpose? Anything that you could fold at about a 45* angle will stand upright and you could drap the quilt over it. A piece of wood strapping nailed to the top would keep it from moving. Can you check to see if there are any large folding shutters at the hardware clearance bin? How about an old artist easel? How about the dry erase boards on stands used for lectures? Maybe check free cycle?

mzmama 09-10-2012 11:35 AM

You could build a rack using PVC pipe. Works great for us.

x7lillies 09-10-2012 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mzmama (Post 5504654)

Is there any structure design in particular you find to be more sturdy? Can you see the PVC when the quilt is hanging?

TanyaL 09-10-2012 11:41 AM

Do you have a friend with a truck or someone in your church? If necessary, bargain the exchange of one of your lap quilts for the use of the truck.

linda8450 09-10-2012 11:42 AM

Rental yards for heavy equipment should rent ladders reasonably. They have everything from shovels to steam rollers!

MTS 09-10-2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mzmama (Post 5504654)

My vote as well. Inexpensive, portable and collapsible.

A quick Google search brought this up first:
http://www.quiltfrog.com/QuiltDisplayRack.html

Looks easy enough - especially since HD or Lowe's will cut the pipes to size for you.
I've been meaning to build one so I can take pictures of my quilts - straight on, without people's fingers in the corner, balancing off off balconies or porches.