Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ???freecycle??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/freecycle-t42578.html)

brookemarie19 04-13-2010 07:21 AM

I tried to join one of these 2 weeks ago, but I never got an ok from the moderator, so I guess I won't be able to check these out :cry: Maybe I will hear something soon though.

cminor 04-13-2010 07:25 AM

I just gave my firt thing away on Saturday. And - as a thank you I got some fabric! The woman asked if there was anything I needed or wanted. I said I am very spoiled but a new quilter. She happend to also be so gave some as a thank you.

I am very excited to use it more once I get the basement cleaned out :)

Prism99 04-13-2010 07:30 AM

I belong to a freecycle group on Yahoo! There is an option to change individual emails to web only (better to use "special notices only" so you still give emails from the administrator) or a daily digest. Once you have joined, go to the website and look at the top of the page for an "edit your membership" link.

We are rural, but people still come to pick up things. It's definitely worth joining the group and trying; you might be surprised at what people think is useful.

watterstide 04-13-2010 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
I tried to join one of these 2 weeks ago, but I never got an ok from the moderator, so I guess I won't be able to check these out :cry: Maybe I will hear something soon though.

you need to contact the owner/moderator
they may be busy,or not much help moderating. 2 weeks is to long to wait for approval or rejection.
usually they want you to reply with your zip-code in the subject line.
check to see if other cities in your area have freecycle..you can join more than one. (although i don't care for cross-posting) but each group does the organization rules and thier own rules are added.
i have had people come from all over to pick things up from me..and depending on what i am looking for..i will drive a distance also.
it is so nice to be able to help others out that need the help. i see alot of single moms on the board..
we even post broken washing machine and such..because we have a couple people that want the scrap for cash.

we also have a guy that has a used oil heater in his polebarn..so he is post once a month for used car oil.

brookemarie19 04-13-2010 08:27 AM

I just resubmitted, so hopefull I hear something soon.

dglvr 04-13-2010 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I belong to a freecycle group on Yahoo! There is an option to change individual emails to web only (better to use "special notices only" so you still give emails from the administrator) or a daily digest. Once you have joined, go to the website and look at the top of the page for an "edit your membership" link.

We are rural, but people still come to pick up things. It's definitely worth joining the group and trying; you might be surprised at what people think is useful.

Thanks Prism I'll go ahead and give it a try.

Carol W 04-13-2010 12:03 PM

Thanks for all the info.

debbieumphress 04-13-2010 12:18 PM

Thank you everyone. I will go to the site. I did go to the .com site. Oops. I read all the replies and have wonderful ideas. Appreciate your time in responding. I hope to find many who could use these items. Good idea on the bags with a name on the porch. I do live 19 miles out in the country but the towns around me are small too so we don't think much of the driving. I can also leave bags at the local quilt store in town. She works with me. I have project Linus quilts dropped off there too. Thanks so much

debbieumphress 04-13-2010 04:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I joined the group near me and have already been accepted and ready to post. I am going to watch it a few days to see how it works and read the long message they sent about do's and don'ts and how to's. Appreciate the help.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-13-2010 05:33 PM

I have never tried it.