Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Freezing Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/freezing-fabric-t303231.html)

Stitchnripper 02-25-2019 10:31 AM

Ive Never frozen fabric but some of the comments reminded me that my mother used to sprinkle ironing and put it in the fridge until it mildewed and then threw it away. She was not the most motivated homemaker. I learned to iron as soon as I got old enough to see what was going on. I still like to iron.

QuiltNama 02-25-2019 12:06 PM

My grandmother did this with all her fabric and cotton dresses that needed to be ironed. Her reasoning was that after washing and drying partway, the freezer kept mildew away til she was able to iron her goods. She lived in Florida where it was a problem. I asked her why she didn't just spray water or starch on them before they were ironed, and she said that all the items ironed much better coming from the freezer. Peace, Brenda

catsden 02-25-2019 03:46 PM

Back in the day :D I used to sprinkle my blouses etc. with water and put them in the fridge for awhile before I ironed them. Never thought of freezing them, but seems like the same principal.

Krisb 02-25-2019 03:55 PM

My mother used to hang out the clothes until they frize, then iron them dry. She also washed clothes with a wringer washer in an unheated lean to shed. We finally got a basement when I was 7, and she could wash and hang clothes down there. It also helped to raise the relative humidity in the house. I have never fozen fabric intentionally.

Judith1005 02-25-2019 05:12 PM

Well, that is an interesting bit of trivia. No, I have never frozen my fabric. And, I almost never pre-wash. (I don't like to take the time.) And, it is always so wrinkly when out of the dryer. I will have to try pre-washing again but don't dry all the way. Yes, very interesting idea.

Onebyone 02-25-2019 05:35 PM

When I was growing up the laundry to be ironed was always put in the fridge over night. Wash day and then ironing day. All clothes were dipped in liquid starch, wrung out, rolled up and put in fridge. A sprinkler bottle was used to wet the clothes before ironing. My mother and grandmother ironed sheets, pillowcases, and anything cotton until permanent press was available.

osewme 02-25-2019 06:24 PM

My mom would sprinkle our clothes to be ironed & put them in the refrigerator for a while before ironing or leave them there if she couldn't get to ironing them right away. Seems like I vaguely remember her putting them in the freezer at times also. I don't know what her reasons were but as kids we just didn't question things like that.

Teddybear Lady 02-25-2019 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 8216380)
My mom would sprinkle our clothes to be ironed & put them in the refrigerator for a while before ironing or leave them there if she couldn't get to ironing them right away. Seems like I vaguely remember her putting them in the freezer at times also. I don't know what her reasons were but as kids we just didn't question things like that.

My mom did the same thing. I remember getting clothes out of the freezer to iron. I guess I thought it was normal.

Calmclam 02-25-2019 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 8216194)
...my mother used to sprinkle ironing and put it in the fridge until it mildewed and then threw it away. ....

My mother had a clipping on the refrigerator from a magazine - were talking the 50's here

Refrigerator: a place to store things systematically before throwing them out.

zozee 02-25-2019 07:48 PM

Ya’ll are clearly from a different era, haha! I have never heard of such a thing as freezing fabric, or refrigerating them before ironing. My mom was vigilant to pull clothes out of the dryer as soon as they were done because she hated to iron but hated wrinkles too.

“Irons like butter”!!! 😂😂😂

Pretty sure hubby would think I’d gone cuckoo if he found fabric in the freezer.