Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Friday night adventure... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/friday-night-adventure-t138295.html)

aorlflood 07-17-2011 09:30 AM

DH & I like to go to auctions so we saw the ad for an auction for last Friday night that said "sewing machine" and "quilt frames" were going to be offered for sale.

Well...you know what that means...there will probably be fabric, too!

So...we went...

Let's just say it's a good thing that we arrived in two cars (he came from home and I came from work)...because we had both Subaru Outback station wagons FILLED TO THE BRIM!!!

I bought the "sewing machine" and custom table...it was a 4 year old Viking Huskylock 936 with all the extras including Viking rolling tote and floor table. The machine with the standard accessories retailed for around $1400 new. Let's just say that I DIDN'T pay nearly that much! ;)

This ladies stash, for the most part, was divided up in organizing totes with the fabric and the pattern stored together. So far I've found 3 almost complete tops with the pattern and rest of the fabric in the totes. I've also found a completed set of 13 hand-pieced blocks and all the necessary setting and border fabric along with the pattern.

I'm only about 2/3's of the way through the fabric...sorting, measuring, folding, etc. I've been doing this for 1 1/2 days now and my feet are TIRED! LOL

I have to say that it's making me a little depressed going through this deceased lady's stash...first of all, most of it is dark thimbleberries-type colors...and then to realize that if I don't get my butt in gear, some day someone else is going to have to go through all of my stash this same way...except that mine is not all neatly stored in totes...I have PIGS....LOL.

But I don't want anyone to have to go through mine like this...so it has given me the urge to make do with what I have and what I have acquired this weekend.

So far, of the measurable fabric (not counting the tote-full of strips and scraps)...I've measured 177 yards of fabric. Guesstimating at $8/yard, I'd say that is roughly $1414 worth of fabric so far...and remember, I've said that I'm only about 2/3's of the way through. WOW!

So far...for the fabric I'm averaging about 67 cents/yard that I paid for it. And that's not including the tops that are completed or nearly completed...that's just for the uncut fabric.

I also got a boxlot that had 2 sewing baskets in it...both filled with notions...I paid $6 for all and one of the baskets is a Longaberger with liner and protector! WOW!

I also got 4 queen batts for $12.

I couldn't really take a "before" photo because the totes were scattered throughout the living room and dining room...where ever we could find to put them. When I am all done catagorizing the fabric, I will post pictures.

BTW...there is over $100 just in totes, alone...they are the nice ones that run between $5-$14 each, depending on their size. :)

Okay...going back to my sewing room to empty more totes...

NancyG 07-17-2011 09:35 AM

WOW - I'm impressed! I know you are having a blast going thru your great find. Congrats!

QuiltnNan 07-17-2011 09:36 AM

holy cow! what a wonderful find. you'll be set for quite a while :-)

blueangel 07-17-2011 09:38 AM

Wonderful

Jo M 07-17-2011 09:42 AM

Wow, what a score! Have fun going through the rest of it. Double score for you, since it inspired you to organize the stash you already have.

jlm5419 07-17-2011 09:42 AM

Sounds like you hit the motherlode! There is no way I'd get even half that amount of stuff into my tiny sewing room, but I always enjoy hearing about the wonderful bargains others find. It gives me hope that I'll eventually find a bargain too. :)

aorlflood 07-17-2011 09:54 AM

Let me just add two things...

1) I love Thimbleberries fabric...but when all I've been folding for 2 days is dark fabric...it can get depressing...I'm hoping for some bright colors to show themselves soon! :)

2) What I bought wasn't even 1/8th of all the fabric that was there! LOL I can't even imagine what size room this woman must have had to have had all that fabric stored! :0

amazon 07-17-2011 10:44 AM

Congratulations on the motherlode haul :thumbup: Just think how nice it will be to go shopping in your stash when you get it all sorted out. :thumbup: Don't you just love auctions.

jrharry 07-17-2011 11:20 AM

Congrats on you new stash and machine.

Jim's Gem 07-17-2011 05:50 PM

Congrats on the great find!