Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A friend asked if I would make her a quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/friend-asked-if-i-would-make-her-quilt-t253399.html)

MFord 09-10-2014 09:32 PM

A friend asked if I would make her a quilt.

1 Attachment(s)
Actually, she saw a picture of my latest quilt and asked if I would make one to sell to her. Being the generous, impulsive, not-too-bright person that I am, I told her I'd make her one if she would buy the materials. This is the quilt: [ATTACH=CONFIG]491111[/ATTACH]I don't know why the picture is so small. Usually they are way too large! It's Jenny Doan's Layer Cake quilt - pretty easy, but I was determined not to make any for other than family members until I got those all done!

I've always been a pushover. Sigh. Oh well, I told her I couldn't do it until after Christmas, so that gives me some time. This is an easy pattern, too - no points to make or match. Just be aware if you ever do it that some layer cakes only give you 40 blocks, and you need 42. I had some batik that blended well enough for this.

IrishgalfromNJ 09-10-2014 11:16 PM

Pretty quilt. I guess you have read other threads about folks making quilts for others and some of the problems they had. I'm glad you told her to buy the materials and that you are making it after Christmas. That's what I would do if anyone ever asks me to make a quilt. I would throw in the labor for free as long as they pay for the material, batting and thread.

BrendaK 09-10-2014 11:30 PM

Very Pretty quilt. Good luck on the new one. BrendaK

Raggiemom 09-11-2014 04:18 AM

I love that pattern, and your quilt is quite pretty. I've noticed that some of my layer cakes are only 40 pieces and I've had to supplement from my stash.

Onebyone 09-11-2014 04:20 AM

Will she be buying the fabric or pay you for the fabric? If she buys her own be sure it is not poor quality. Most non quilters see fabric prices and buy the cheapest. There will be many on going problems with a quilt made from poor fabric and it will always be your fault because you made it, friend or not.

DDuMouchel 09-11-2014 04:35 AM

So glad I saw this post. I have a stack of 10" squares that I haven't had a good purpose for ... now I know where they're going to go!

greyhounder 09-11-2014 04:40 AM

Beautiful! Love the blue squares in the border. I've considered doing quilts for friends at cost-- but haven't started yet. I told them they can pay when its finished.... whenever that is!

nanna-up-north 09-11-2014 04:45 AM

Wanting to make quilts for others and others wanting you to make quilts for them can be so different. Good luck on your venture. You have a beautiful quilt that all goes together so well. .... love the colors.

Sandygirl 09-11-2014 04:47 AM

I am Glad the photo is small. It downloads quicker and I can see it. When photos are not resized , i cant see them and I dont try to wait for the download. I miss a lot of posts.

pretty quilt. Good job of being reailistic about timeframe.
sandy

Grandma Bonnie 09-11-2014 05:36 AM

Very pretty quilt! If she is a friend I'm sure she won't mind waiting for 'her' quilt.