Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Friends old sewing machine appraise/sell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/friends-old-sewing-machine-appraise-sell-t146354.html)

virgwid 08-19-2011 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a friend who has an old family sewing machine she would like to sell. She needs it appraised first. I am hoping the pix of it go thru. Can you all tell approx. how much she should ask for it just from the pictures? Also, if anyone is interested in buying it, let me know with your email addy attached and I will forward any and all appraisals and buy requests to her. Virg

virgwid 08-19-2011 02:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
ok, screwed up sending the pix. give me a minute or two :oops:

jljack 08-19-2011 02:46 PM

It's a 1940s Kenmore in fair condition. You should look around on the internet to try to find a price. I would guess not more than $50, and trying to ship it would be a nightmare. She could put it on Craigslist, yard sale or in her local newspaper. That $50 is just my semi-educated guess. It also depends on whether it works, etc. The pictures are not very good, so, kinds hard to tell. But that's probably the top range.

Annaquilts 08-19-2011 02:48 PM

I agree. The cabinet is cute. That is where the value is and if it works, has attachments and a booklet.

Originally Posted by jljack
It's a 1940s Kenmore in fair condition. You should look around on the internet to try to find a price. I would guess not more than $50, and trying to ship it would be a nightmare. She could put it on Craigslist, yard sale or in her local newspaper. That $50 is just my semi-educated guess. It also depends on whether it works, etc. The pictures are not very good, so, kinds hard to tell. But that's probably the top range.

Prism99 08-19-2011 02:52 PM

I agree with the others, although where I live (upper Midwest), a machine and cabinet like this would not sell for more than $35 in a thrift shop.

Charlee 08-19-2011 02:54 PM

Ask for $50, expect to settle for $15/20...

np3 08-19-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jljack

Sad, but true non the less.

thepolyparrot 08-19-2011 05:28 PM

I think $15-20 is a fair price, too.

If I remember correctly this model of Kenmore has problems with an internal belt which stiffens into something resembling an iron rod if it sits for while without running. Because of the location of the belt, it's time-consuming (and therefore very expensive) to fix.

scowlkat 08-19-2011 08:47 PM

I agree. I purchased a Singer 237 in a maple cabinet in much better condition for $20.

virgwid 08-20-2011 04:23 AM

Thank you all for your help. I am sending my friend the info. Virg