Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frixion Erasable Marker (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frixion-erasable-marker-t214843.html)

Holice 02-25-2013 02:51 PM

another problem reported is that on some colors of fabric they bleach out the color slightly.

QultingaddictUK 02-25-2013 02:54 PM

Use it all the time have had no problems with it and find it an economical way to marking quilts when needed.

Dolphyngyrl 02-25-2013 06:04 PM

If you launder after ironing marks dont reappear

sewingsuz 02-25-2013 06:10 PM

I have bought some and have not used them yet. Thanks for all the information about what and what not to do.

Bneighbor 02-25-2013 07:22 PM

I bought a few last week and did tests. I wrote on 3 different types of fabrics. I let the ink set for about 3 hours then pressed with a very warm iron. I found I needed to use a very hot iron. So if your fabric cannot withstand a hot iron, another "heat" source is needed. I then took the fabrics and put them in the freezer. The ink did return, but not as bright. I then washed the fabrics with warm water and detergent. I dried one sample in the dryer and the other by laying out the fabric. I did not try washing in cold water(oops, I forgot), so I cannot give a honest answer if the ink comes out in cold water. After both fabrics where dry, I put them back in the freezer to see if the ink returns.
i could not see any residual color from the pens. The satin had a faint mark, almost as if the pen point left a scar. The cotton and the poly-cotton both were clear.
I would absolutely test your fabrics first. But for myself, I was pleased with the results.

wendiq 02-26-2013 08:02 AM

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE RESPONDED. I think I will invest in at least one of these. I do wish there was a white, but a pink might work for darker fabrics. I will probably get a pink and black. I will test on fabric first and then if my iron doesn't get out the ink, I'll put it in the dryer. I usually work with just cotton.......but I do use a poly batt in many cases......

OKLAHOMA PEACH 02-26-2013 08:11 AM

When you iron, use a steam iron and hold it over the mark on fabric, don't lay iron upon the fabric or it could leave a slight mark.

Bevsie 02-26-2013 09:02 AM

HI use them quite a lot, HOWEVER, I did have one bag where the red pen did not go away when I ironed it...is in the lining and doesn't show, but I can see it! And on some dark purple handles I used the red one (again) on I have a white line left after ironing. I am going to try washing....again it's on the underside and really isn't major, but there!

I have had no trouble at all with the blue, black, or yellow. Just red and me have a thing!

grammysharon 02-26-2013 09:47 AM

I always use steam to remove and haven't had the mark return. I love them!!!!

Originally Posted by Gramie bj (Post 5887569)
Yes it will disappear when Ironed, it will also reappear when it get's real cold. I was told if you use steam, the kind that goes right through the fabric. it stays gone, haven't tried it yet, My iron isn't strong enough.

Bneighbor 02-26-2013 10:52 AM

I found a three pack-black, red, blue- at Office Max for under $6.00. Local quilt shop was almost double the cost. Would like to find a light color, maybe I will spend a few extra pennies for one pen I want.