Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frugal or Extravagant? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frugal-extravagant-t196078.html)

bearisgray 07-29-2012 05:50 AM

Frugal or Extravagant?

There are some things I'm willing to spend the money to have the 'best' that I know about -

Gingher scissors, for example.

There are some things that I'm more interested in getting 'adequate' for less money -

Those rotary cutter blades from ?? for $1.98 for two. (Got some a while ago - but don't remember name now)

How about you?

ETA: But it seems like something newer and better is always becoming available. WAAAAAH!

Sunnye 07-29-2012 05:52 AM

Harbor Freight?

bearisgray 07-29-2012 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnye (Post 5402560)
Harbor Freight?

Yes - the only thing I was able to come up with was Northern Hydraulics.

chips88 07-29-2012 05:56 AM

i am frugal. i like cheap but good stuff. if that makes sents( spelling).:)

chips88 07-29-2012 06:01 AM

i do not have a harbor freight near by. i do not have a fabric shop either. only walmart. i do not have a long arm to do quilting of my quilts. we have nothing in this area. wish i knew how to advertize that we need these things hear. :(

Lori S 07-29-2012 06:01 AM

There are certain fabric designers that I can say when I see their fabric .. I never look at the price on the bolt, as I just have to have it. Peggy Toole has some of the most irresistable fabrics I have ever seen.
As for tools and supplies...
1. spray basting ... having used some off brands that either left me cleaning my needle ever 2 minutes, or didn't adhere, or smelled bad..
2. Invisable thread .. just not worth the frusration to go "off brand".
3. Specialty presser feet... I stick with the manufactures .
And yes .. I am a scissor snob!

Sewnoma 07-29-2012 06:08 AM

I like what WORKS, but I think often the name brand version is just a little better. For me, rotary blades is one of the things I'm very picky about! I tried Harbor Freight blades and they were no good for me. I use Olfa and love them; Amazon sells 5 packs of the 45mm blades for around $15-16. But I did try the other blades and would try others because you just never know until you try something yourself.

Rulers are something I am not brand-picky about. If I see something useful and sturdy I'm likely to buy it - I probably have at least one ruler from every manufacturer by now! I love rulers...

Scissor Queen 07-29-2012 06:14 AM

I've spent way more than what Ginghers cost for scissors. In my scissor collection Ginghers are actually midrange in price. I pay for Gingher rotary blades. I get them when Jo-Ann's has them half price.

I would say I shop smart. There's no point in just buying the cheapest thing there is when you can have the best there is for the same price or a little more if you're willing to buy things on sale. I have bought LQS fabric for $1 to $3 a yard. Almost every LQS I've been in has a sale rack.

You're sitting in front of the world's biggest research and shopping tool, use it.

auntpiggylpn 07-29-2012 06:25 AM

I am of the school that you try different things and yes sometimes those choices are driven by budget. If I buy something and it turns out not to as I expected or just didn't work, then I won't buy it again. There have been a few times that I opted for the cheaper item(s) and wound up spending more $ trying to be cheap than if I would have if I had bought the tried and true more pricier item. I decided a long time ago that there are certain items that I buy, not just for sewing, that I will not compromise on. I refuse to purchase any ranch dressing other than Hidden Valley because I know the store brands have never lived up to the taste of it! If I don't like it, I'm not going to use it and then no matter how much less it cost, it is still going to go to waste.

bearisgray 07-29-2012 06:28 AM

Since I've started reading the posts on this board, I've learned about many products that I didn't even know existed.