Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frustrated with chain qs in my area (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frustrated-chain-qs-my-area-t20755.html)

PatB 06-04-2009 11:49 AM

Am fortunate that I have two local Wal-Mart stores that still sell fabric...not always the best qualilty but it certainly beats a not-so-local J_____ store. Yes, they're fat quarters are sometimes less than a fq. I believe that the fq are not actually done in the store but perhaps a clearing house or some localized location? Have you considered buying on-line? Sometimes I've been very fortunate to find some very good cotton fabric at really good prices...stay away from the cheap stuff though.

Besides Hancock's of Paducah, Keepsake Quilting, you might want to try fabric.com I've never been disappointed with my orders. Generally speaking they'll send a weekly about their sales. I recently got an e-mail for my birthday giving me a discount on my order (within 30 days of birthday). Free shipping on orders over $35. (US only). 37" per yard.

judyjo 06-04-2009 04:09 PM

Many of you speak about buying fabrics on line. What sites to you use?

Judyjo

Knot Sew 06-04-2009 04:46 PM

I have noticedf the packaged fats are not all great fabric. I try to buy 1/2 yard of fabric and make 2 fats... :D

blahel 06-04-2009 06:29 PM

Here in Australia we also have a big chainstore and I have had good and bad experiences..i also bought some of those fat quarters with the sticky label and while some came of easy some took a lot of effort..i have also noticed that some of you ladies post pictures of your fat quarters with the sticky labels and i have actually bought the same one here!
Maybe it depends on how long the sticker has been on there as to how hard it is to remove?
i also agree that dont take it out on the staff unless of course they are rude as usually it is management that cuts down on staff so you have to wait ages in line and once when waiting while i was shopping during my lunch break i had to put all my purchases down and leave as it took so long!
On a positive note i have also had good friendly service quite a few times and that has usually been during the quieter times.

kd124 06-04-2009 10:37 PM

I got fatquarters for my aunt's B & W quilt. I soaked a bunch of mine in water to get the stupid labels off. I won't get them there again unless I absolutely have to.

Lacelady 06-05-2009 11:12 AM

Ooooh NY Nancy, I could hug you. A great site for supplies AND they ship internationally, what more could a quilter in Ireland want? BTW, I get quilte a lot of fabric from Hancocks of Paducah. but intend to try some of the others I have read about on the board recently.

Quilt4u 06-05-2009 11:16 AM

I make my own FQs it is cheaper that buying them.

Sis 06-05-2009 12:08 PM

An expansion on your idea of making your own fat quarters is to "share" (trade/swap) your home cut fat quarters with a friend who does the same.

Unfortunately, purchasing fabric is like alot of other things... "buyer be aware". :?

CindyBee 06-05-2009 03:23 PM

I HATE those gluey labels. For a business that focuses on fabric, you would think they'd have a clue. I fab shop at Walmart sometimes (my WM still carries some decent fabs). When they cut for me, I always request they not put the sticker on it. They will pin the yardage on instead. With fat quarters, that's not always an option. I have had both good and bad experiences with the fat quarter labels. Some will peel right off, others won't. However, I've never had an experience (yet) where prewashing won't take care of it.

Sandi 06-06-2009 08:11 AM

yes
I had the exact same problem two weeks ago! and the same reaction as
you. they must have changed the labels. What A PAIN THAT was :x
Sandi