Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frustrated & Heartbroken (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frustrated-heartbroken-t158830.html)

stitchinbee 10-07-2011 08:06 PM

I know it sounds extreme, but I had a less than good day today. I had started a quilt that I have been yearning to do, Stacked Coins. Simple enough, right? Wrong! Everything went together nicely and without incident, I was pleased with how easy it seemed to be, until... I started joining the colums with the sashing. Can you say "WONKY"? Yes, it is horrible, so I put it down, put my things away and stashed the quilt top as far out of sight as I could. Does anyone else every get this upset over things like this? Anyhow, if anyone can offer me some tips on how not to get "wonky" into stacked coins, I would dearly appreciate it. (Visualize 4 columns looking like an upside down "U" that slopes down from left to right at the bottom.)

Xtgirl 10-07-2011 08:22 PM

Did you sew your strips together in the same direction? That would cause some wonkiness...I'm not visualizing well so I could be not understanding what youre describing.But I was told if you piece in the one direction without changing direction every other strip they will not stay straight. Best of luck!

Xtgirl 10-07-2011 08:23 PM

Edit..double post

stitchinbee 10-07-2011 08:29 PM

i say frustrated and heartbroken because right now i feel as if i never want to quilt or sew ever again.

quilter68 10-07-2011 08:33 PM

Can you say ANGRY?

Take two aspirin and look at it again another day. I am not trying to be funny I speak from experience.

nursie76 10-07-2011 08:35 PM

I understand frustrated! But please don't give up! Everything is a learning experience. Just put this one aside and work on something different for a while. {{{Hugs}}}

BKrenning 10-07-2011 09:04 PM

It sounds like you sewed the strips all the same direction instead of alternating or possibly ironed instead of pressed your rows. Also, if the fabric wasn't pre-washed &/or starched and on the thin side--it will stretch & warp when a hot iron touches it or some of the really thin stuff--just by handling it too much.

So--point #1 would be did you prewash & starch your fabric before you cut it especially if it was the thinner stuff?

Point #2: Did you alternate sides when sewing the strips together?

Point #3: Did you press (not iron) the seams all the same?

Point #4: Are you having trouble with the ruler slipping so that your blocks are out of square when you subcut the strips?

Are you a new quilter?
How accurate or at least consistent is your seam allowance?

Don't give up. Maybe today was just not meant to be a sewing day.

maryellen2u 10-07-2011 09:25 PM

What do you mean by a stacked coins? I am planning on making a coins quilt and wonder if it is the same thing. I don't want my to be wonky. I want to learn from your experience.

Amythyst02 10-07-2011 09:30 PM

Since I have sewn for many years, clothing can sometimes be the most frustrating thing. You have the directions right there in front of you, and yet its all wrong. Quilting is still very new to me, but I am relating it to the same as making clothes. When I get upset, frustrated, and just plain want to throw it out the window, its time to get up and look at it tomorrow. You will be surprised at how different things will look the next day. All of a sudden, it just hits you what you were doing wrong.

And honestly you have the best source of help right here on these boards. These ladies will make it all ok...

Scotlass 10-07-2011 09:44 PM

You have been given some good tips on what might of happened, I suggest you do something that makes you happy (whether it is quilting or something eles) and take another look at this top with fresh eyes another day. It may be a simple fix......Good luck and don't give up!